We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Typhoons

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Typhoons

plan to have a trip to Japan in Sept or Oct this year for 16 days. And try to avoid Chinese October 1 long holiday peak as well. However, Just heard Typhoons is in peak in September as well. Does usually Typhoons gets less in end of Sept, say from 18th of Sept?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Typhoons

I would say Japan "greets" typhoons coming to mainland at around end of September and perhaps early October more often than early September, but the courses and the degree of mischief they make differ by season. There can be 2-3 times in a year in late Summer when major train lines and air flights might stop almost completely for the typhoon to pass the mainland for about full day- but it's a routine thing. I suggest not worrying too much about what might or might not happen in the future.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Pacific_typhoon_sea…

Edited: 09 May 2014, 12:38
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Typhoons

If you happen to be in Tokyo at typhoon, look westwards after it passes away- you'd have a great view of Mt Fuji cleared of mists and clouds.

…blogimg.jp/bluestylecom/…80f865c8.JPG

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,878 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Typhoons

yobeekool, I love the way you responded!

... yes... typhoons do seem to be more likely to make landfall later in the season... late-Sept/ early-Oct. But they're completely unpredictable as to when/ where/ strength etc (until right as they're occurring).

In the nearly nine years that I lived in Japan, I would say that I experienced possible three typhoons that were serious for the area I was in. First, made landfall around Chubu (central Japan), the river I lived by flooded pretty seriously, to the extend that upstream in the mountains houses were destroyed, and the train line was so badly damaged it didn't reopen for a couple of years. Second, hit Tokyo when I was at DisneyResort for a weekend. I got really wet, many of the rides at Disney were closed. We took shelter in central Tokyo through the worst of the typhoon, and the shinkansen stopped, so we had to wait for lines to reopen. Third, hit Chubu area again, a few rivers were close to flood, both of my possible trainlines home were closed; but all operating as usual the next day.

If you end up over when there's a typhoon, your flights might get delayed or cancelled, but airlines will sort you out, and that's what travel insurance is for.

Sept is a good time in Japan, as the days are still hot, but the hot nights have broken to cooler temps, much more comfortable.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,547 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Typhoons

It's impossible to project typhoon frequency and dates. Typhoons don't affect Japan at the same frequency as the likes of Philippines so it's not something I would worry about.

5. Re: Typhoons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 06:17