We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money in japan

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
money in japan

i was looking into going to japan in april for the cherry blossom events and etc and was woundering how much money to bring for comfortable and goodtime was thinking on bringing 3000$ canadian, and if its good to exchange my canadian in canada or at a japanese airport exchange booth. Thanks for all the help and reply's

21 replies to this topic
Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: money in japan

and also if i should get a bullet train pass thinking of being in mt fuji or in tokyo.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,629 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money in japan

How long is your trip? That has a direct impact of how much money you need.

However, you don't necessarily need to bring a ton of money. You can always use an ATM to pull money from post office and 7/11 ATM's. If you want to exchange at an airport, be sure to go to the airport's bank, not an exchange bureau. Also, have a credit card. Many places take credit cards now though you will always need cash.

Rail pass depends on your entire itinerary down to the day. For just Tokyo and Mt. Fuji area, you don't need a JR Pass.

Edited: 18 November 2017, 02:13
D L
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money in japan

Hello! I think it depends on what kind of traveller are you.

If you are into sight seeing and culinary (let's say you spend ¥2000 yen per meal for 7 days), I think It's more than enough to shop and dine comfortably during your trip.

But if you are into shopping.. then I think it is really depends on what you shop.. lol

I remember going to a Japanese branded clothes store last year, and each clothes cost around ¥10,000.

So if you are into shopping, prepare to bring alot.. 😅

About the Bullet Train, are you planning to stay in Mt Fuji area or you want to take bullet train just to see Mt Fuji? ☺

Edited: 18 November 2017, 02:19
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,199 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money in japan

Please take some time and read through www.japan-guide.com - the site has a wealth of travel information and also has suggested itineraries. After you’ve come up with an itinerary, feel free to post it here. Then we can assess your JR pass options.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,449 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money in japan

>> if its good to exchange my canadian in canada or at a japanese airport exchange booth.

Canadian cash exchange in Japan = ~8 % fee (hidden in the exchange rate) . I have no idea what your bank or currency dealer charges for cash exchange. TD charges ~3.75% if ordering JPY online..

For ATM withdrawal in Japan, it's 3% for most Canadian banks.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,898 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: money in japan

Don’t bring Canadian cash to Japan to exchange to yen. The rate for cash is terrible.

Use atm in Japan to pull out yen. You may wish to get a small amount of yen in Canada just so you have a bit when you arrive. Most would use credit cards for hotels etc

Cherry blossom time is busy..suggest you start booking hotels now. Booking.com is convenient and you can pick hotels with free cancellation,then you can change as required.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
38,843 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: money in japan

10,000 to 15,000 Yen per day.

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: money in japan

I was thinking of staying for 5-10 days and bringing about 263346.53 yen.

And im not a huge buyer wount be buying alot of stuff just want to spend it on food and some souvenirs and a japanese oni mask for my brother.

But i wanna try to site see around mt fuji as a start for the 5 days and next trip travel around japan more get the feel and idea of how it is.

Thanks for all the replys and the help its helping me organize alot in my head.

Edited: 18 November 2017, 06:58
Coral Springs...
Level Contributor
194 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: money in japan

We went for 12 days and had like 600usd and pretty much used our credit cards everywhere the cash we used was when we wanted to pay quickly I ended up coming back with 100usd but I haven't added up yet how much I put on my credit card. Honestly found it cheaper then NYC. Our dinners were the most expensive which ranged from 2500 to 5500 yen depending on what we wanted. We skipped breakfast and lunch was on the go since we were touring around

Tsukuba, Japan
Level Contributor
8,431 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: money in japan

Are you planing to visit Kyoto on April? If so, as said by Maple G, book you hotel ASAP now!! Many hotels and booking sites in Japan follow the 90 days rule, but it's too late to try to book your hotel 3 months before. All 1,200 hotels in the Kansai Region are fully booked on April by the huge numbers of visitors to Kyoto. In recent years, I visit Kyoto every year and booked my hotel in Kyoto in the next April last Month (6 months before). Book , book, book, and think later where to stay and where to cancel, because cancellation even 3-7 days before are usually free. You should also KEEP your hotel in Tokyo early in April.

Come to Tokyo in the early April, enjoy Cherry Blossom for a few days, and move to Kyoto,

if you have time and a JR Pass go to Hiroshima/Mijayima for one night, day trip Nara from Kyoto and return to Tokyo, then it's good to go to Kawaguchiko(Fuji 5 Lakes) in mid April

to also enjoy Cherry Blossom there. Please see these videos.

Chidorigafuchi, Tokyo in early April.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5ZvnZ8JmPc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbzETGV5Sr8

Kyoto in early April.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl7nlBpVBHk

Kyoto in mid April.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC_NZzeagEk

Kawaguchiko in mid April

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKsmFdwOx_Y

Reply to: money in japan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted