We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kamakura or Shirakawako

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
302 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Kamakura or Shirakawako

Dear all: I have 4 full day in December 1st-4th in Japan stay near Tokyo sky tree and plan to visit 1st day in Nikko. 2nd day in Hakone, 3nd day in Kamakura and 4th day Tokyo city tour. But I would like to go to Takayama and Shirakawako too but this must cancel some list out. Please suggest between Kamakura and city tour with Takayama and Shirakawako which way should I choose?. Travel to Takayama and Shirakawako take about more 4 hrs from Tokyo, thus it should be 2 days trip and overnight there. I would like to have your idea that cut off City tour and Kamakura then replace Takayama and Shirakawako instead,which is the best?. Thanks so much for your suggestions.

3 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,680 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kamakura or Shirakawako

There is no correct answer. It's your interest that matters.

Have you been to Tokyo before? If not, you should definitely spend a couple of days, if not all 4 days there, or 3 days in Tokyo and a day trip to one of the closer destinations instead of Takayama and Shirakawago.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,380 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kamakura or Shirakawako

Takayama is more than four hours from Tokyo, and almost 15,000 yen each way. From there it is another hour by bus to Shirakawago. You could go directly to Shirakawago from Tokyo, more than two hours by train to Toyama, then an hour and a half by bus. With such a short visit, I think that this is not practical.

May I suggest Nihon Minkaen? It is a fine collection of old houses from all over Japan. It is only a 20-minute train ride and a 20-minute walk from Tokyo's Shinjuku Station: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3253.html

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
302 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kamakura or Shirakawako

Thanks so much SammyF1oyd and RogerR-Phila to introduce to Nihon Minkaen. Please tell how to get to Nihon Minkaen, I check out from Japan guide.com and don’t clear what station to get off and what line to take in? Your answer is much appreciated

Reply to: Kamakura or Shirakawako
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted