We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Japanesse Souvenirs

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
225 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Japanesse Souvenirs

I was in Japan 3 years ago, and I bought cosmetics bags and wallets made of Japanesse fabrics. I remember I bought them when i visited Nakamise-dori. They are quite cheap, only few hundred yen each. This time I'm going back to Tokyo & Osaka, and plan to buy more of them for souvenirs. Do you know where I can get them for cheaper price, in Osaka or Tokyo. Since I don't plan to go to Asakusa temple this time. Thanks.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Japanesse Souvenirs

Perhaps Y100 shops?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
225 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Japanesse Souvenirs

I did not find that type of souvenir when I went to 100Yen shop. I went to the 100Yen shop near Akihabara station. How about in Ameyako, do the shops sell souvenirs?

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Japanesse Souvenirs

The bags you are looking for are mostly used for gifts and tourist souvenirs. I buy them frequently, too. Many department stores have a Japanese section or floor where you will find them. Many of the larger temples and shrines have a section of souvenir shops as you approach the main grounds. You are bound to find them if you go to a major temple or shrine. I have not noticed much difference in price between different cities.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
225 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Japanesse Souvenirs

Thanks. It's good to know that the prices for souvenirs are similar everywhere. You know the feeling when you bought the souvenir and later on find the same thing with cheaper price.

Earth, Texas
Level Contributor
189 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Japanesse Souvenirs

I think you are talking about furoshiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furoshiki

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Japanesse Souvenirs

Furoshiki is a piece of flat fabric that is then folded by gathering the corners and tying them; and then one can wrap a variety of objects inside such as a lunch box or a sometimes a gift.

The small bags asked about here are sometimes made of the same fabrics, but they are pre-made with zippers or draw strings.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
225 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Japanesse Souvenirs

Yes, that's the one. But I 'm more interested in the wallets, made from same materials. It's a very typical Japanesse souvenir. I saw them in Department Stores and Airport. Just wondering whether they are sold somewhere else cheaper.

Philadelphia...
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Japanesse Souvenirs

The Oriental Bazzar has them. Take the JR to Harajuku Station. Walk down Otamemasando Ave. It is on the right side. A very good place to get all sorts of things to bring home. Reccomended in many travel guides.

9. Re: Japanesse Souvenirs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 17:18