We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beggars and street hustlers?

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beggars and street hustlers?

How is Tokyo for beggars and street hustlers? People who prey on westerners on the streets and near public areas of interest? It can be somewhat daunting in China.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beggars and street hustlers?

Hi Obadiah ,

Japan is a world apart from China and Europe in regard to beggars and hustlers .

I have been to Japan quite a few times (since 1974) and have never encountered beggars . Twice , when on my own in Tokyo , I was asked if I wanted to go to a bar but that's about it . There was never any pressure or hustling .

Cheers.

Teesside, UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beggars and street hustlers?

I recently returned from Japan and I never encountered any beggars, there were a few homeless people in Shinjuku but none of them approached you

However, as a single western bloke wandering around in Kabuchiko district alone, I was pestered by Americans working for some of the girlie bars, trying to get me to go to theirs. Some of these were quite persistant and didnt want to take 'No' for an answer. I eventually had to leave the area as I was being accosted by a new tout every time I managed to shake one off , they were obviously hired for their English language and were targetting western tourists.

It was only in this area this happenned though, and the rest of the time during my 18 days over there I had no problems at all.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Beggars and street hustlers?

In Shanghai it can get pretty bad. I've been grabbed a few times and it freaks out my wife because they will follow me for a city block just saying over and over "Hello, Money!"

Tokyo will be a nice change of pace!

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beggars and street hustlers?

You also have to be careful in Roppongi. There have been many, many incidents of the street hustlers getting people into certain bars with the lure of free drinks, then using one of the "date rape" type drugs in their drinks, "swiping" their credit cards for extra cash......etc. etc. It happened to a friend of mine, and was a very scary situation. It finally got so bad that the US Embassy Tokyo announced it in their July 2007 newsletter. It can be found on their web site: http://tokyo.usembassy.gov/

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beggars and street hustlers?

This is also very common in Kabukicho. The problem is, you don't have much recourse and the police can't do much about it because in fact you did authorize the charges, albeit when you're drugged or drunk out of your mind. I also know someone who was victimized by this but he admits he deserved it because he shouldn't have been drinking at a place where a tout promises unlimited drinks for two hours for a seemingly low fee. But these situations are easily avoided. You just stay away from any place that touts are hustling, regardless of how good it sounds.

<<<You also have to be careful in Roppongi. There have been many, many incidents of the street hustlers getting people into certain bars with the lure of free drinks, then using one of the "date rape" type drugs in their drinks, "swiping" their credit cards for extra cash......etc. etc.>>>

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beggars and street hustlers?

To answer the original query, panhandling is illegal and the homeless know it so they are quite well behaved. Foreign illegals and religious cult members ignore these laws and occasionally panhandle or try to sell you junk, usually in busy areas like Shinjuku and Ikebukuro. But, for the most part, Japanese homeless will keep to themselves and you don't have much to worry about.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Beggars and street hustlers?

Excellent! I doubt I would be interested in a bar with unlimited drinks anyways since I am more interested in cultural sites than getting loaded but it's good to know. Thanks for the help!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,379 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beggars and street hustlers?

>> panhandling is illegal

What about occasional monks appearing near metro entrances? maybe they are not theoretically pandhandling, I guess. They don't look like foreign cult followers.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,379 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beggars and street hustlers?

>>Some of these were quite persistant and didnt want to take 'No' for an answer.

The proper response should be "no response" instead of saying "No". Just walk past them as if these touts are ghosts.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beggars and street hustlers?

On a brighter side... I have lived in Tokyo for 10 years.. clubbing.. live houses... roppongi and kabukacho the whole box & dice. NEVER once encountered pan handling, dudes trying to hustle me( drugs, s*x, goods or otherwise), on any other unsavoury person or group or incident. In my opinion, in Tokyo you have to go looking for trouble to find it, or be foolish enough to put yourself in the position.

Cameron