We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo Weather in March?

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tokyo Weather in March?

I've read various websites and most are pretty vague when it comes to March weather in Tokyo, so I'm looking for first-hand experience. For anyone who has traveled in Tokyo during the first half of March (or has lived there, etc), what's the weather like? Cold? Rainy? Windy? All of the above. Give me an idea of what to expect, and what to pack for. I know the rainiest season is later in the year, but I'm hoping it's not going to be raining every day of our vacation.

I know you can predict with 100% accuracy, but some idea of what to expect would be nice. Thanks in advance!

- Captain Impulse

Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,314 Reviews
from US$140.80*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
947 Reviews
from US$65.40*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
122 Reviews
from US$54.50*
Fukuoka, Japan
Level Contributor
880 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tokyo Weather in March?

Captain Impulse, weather in March fluctuates wildly. In general, it is getting milder but sunny days do not last long as low and high pressure comes down from Russia/mainland China alternately. After a few sunny days come a few rainy days and again a few sunny days...

Temperature-wise, it is still 7-13 degree. How you feel depends on what you're used to. For me, it is still cold and I wear a wool sweater for indoors and a thick winter jacket & gloves/scalf for outdoors.

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tokyo Weather in March?

Thanks for the info, JLadyTokyo. That at least gives me a better idea of what to expect. We'll pack for cold, wet weather and hope for the best!

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,152 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tokyo Weather in March?

Hi

Have you looked at weather stats on http://www.weatherbase.com?

Regards

Gard

gardkarlsen.com

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tokyo Weather in March?

Just did. Looks like March is the wettest of the winter months, but every other non-winter month is wetter. So, here's to hoping the pattern holds true and my vacation is not a washout!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
23 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tokyo Weather in March?

Would like to rain when it rain during March, how long usually will the rain last? Also, is it like raining cats and dogs or just drizzle?

Kawasaki, Japan
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tokyo Weather in March?

If you're talking about the first half of March, don't be surprised if it snows, though even then it's not likely to accumulate, we still get winterlike conditions. But then again, you might see highs close to 20 degrees celsius with sunny skies if you're lucky. The average high should be between 10 to 15 degrees.

Though you might see some rain, it would seldom rain all day (maybe in April), nor would you experience

tropical downpours like you might in Singapore (though it happens between June and Sept).

Oz
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tokyo Weather in March?

Hello Mixbag...we have spoken before on another thread....35C here in Ozland today and I have just managed to try and buy a 'snow' jacket....puffy, fleeces lining and faux fur hood..... I paniced the other day when you mentioned snow in Tokyo. Now will that be suitable for travel to Japan in March/April or am I overdoing it now?

Thank you :-)

Kawasaki, Japan
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tokyo Weather in March?

SmooOz, I recall that you're coming in late March to early April? In which case you're overdoing it for Tokyo. I just said that it "does" snow during that period once every few years, but usually, the temperature should get up to 15 to 20 degrees by then, if it's sunny. I just checked records and found that it actually reached 24 degrees celsius on

March 29 & April 1 last year, but days before and after, it was only up to 12 to 15 degrees or so.

If you plan to go up to Nikko or anywhere further north and at high evelation, it's a different story.

The ski resorts will still be open and the average mean temperature around Nikko is -2.4 degrees in March and 5.3 Degrees in April.

9. Re: Tokyo Weather in March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 04:17