We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dream destination with a baby

Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dream destination with a baby

I hope someone can help? My husband has always wanted to visit to Tokyo and we have finally decided to visit early next year. We will be travelling with our son who will be 18 months old so we need accommodation that is child friendly and reasonably priced.

Can you suggest somewhere?

Likely To Sell Out
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,098 Reviews
from US$149.10*
Special Offer
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
94 Reviews
from US$57.70*
Mt Fuji Day Trip with Lake Ashi...
921 Reviews
from US$134.70*
Kyoto Rail Tour by Bullet Train from...
299 Reviews
from US$311.70*
Level Contributor
351 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dream destination with a baby

I think you should find it pretty easy. It's when the children get older that it's harder to accomodate them. Although many Ryokans accept children under 12, they are somewhat fragile and I just remember how destructive even my well-behaved kids could be at that age. I would look for decent-sized hotels that can supply you with a crib. Start with the cities you want to travel too. At 18 months you don't really want them in a separate room and suites/connecting rooms are hard to come by anyway. Just look for TA reviews that mention decent-sized rooms and then look for the reviews that don't rule out "families traveling with small children" Then I would go to the hotel's website to see whether they can supply a crib.

Orlando, Fl
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Dream destination with a baby

We will be traveling to Tokyo this summer with our 13 month old. I would suggest looking into Oakwood Apartments or possibly Somerset Roppongi. They are one and two bedroom apartments with kitchens, washer dryers, ect that cost the same or less than a standard room at 3 to 4 star hotels. Of course, we havent been yet, but we have heard great things about Oakwood especially from people on this site traveling with children, and also from a friend who lives in Tokyo who has stayed at a few different Oakwoods. I don't know about your child, but we find having our baby in a seperate room after she goes to sleep very valuable, unless we want to go to bed when she does. Also the kitchen, and washer/dryer seem extremely helpful with kids. Most Tokyo hotel rooms are tiny compared to what we are used to in the States, and Suites at well located hotels at reasonable prices are virtually nonexistent, or don't allow children.

I have been communicating via email with both Somerset Roppongi and some of the Oakwoods and they have been VERY helpful in answering my questions about location, airport transportation, crib availability, etc. I found their email addresses through the two company's websites which can be found using a google search.

Goodluck! We are very nervous about the logistics of traveling with our baby, feeding, etc., but are very excited about visiting Tokyo!

San Francisco
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dream destination with a baby

Hi Patsey

I am going to Tokyo in 2 weeks with my 19 month old daughter, and have done a lot of research. From a hotel standpoint, the Keio Plaza hotel seems quite ideal for several reasons:

1. Close to Shinjuku station

2. Has several stores, restaurants, and a pharmacy within the building

3. They have cribs AND babysitting service

4. Airport bus goes straight to the hotel from Narita

5. The Disney bus is close by if you want to go to Disneyland.

6. Close to other restaurants outside of their towers.

We booked through a package and the price is relatively reasonable. I think it comes out to about $200 US a night.

Feel free to ping me when we return in a few weeks.

4. Re: Dream destination with a baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 12:17