We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Green and ordinary rail passes

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
305 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Green and ordinary rail passes

I was wondering what the difference is between the green and ordinary rail passes. There seems to be a significant price difference. What do you get for the extra money and is it worth it?

Thanks in advance

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,225 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Green and ordinary rail passes

Never ridden in the Green Cars, but the regular Shinkansen and other express trains are comfy. I wouldn't pay the extra.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,118 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Green and ordinary rail passes

…wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Lover_of_Romance/Ja…

The interior pictures show Green(1st class) seats next to Ordinary seats.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,926 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Green and ordinary rail passes

Only you can decide if it is worth it--depends on your budget and how many days you are going for.

I bought a Green pass, but not for the full JR Rail pass--instead I bought a JR East pass for 10 days as that was the part of the country I was visiting.

I thought it was worth it--on a per diem basis not that much more, and really a small incremental cost to my entire trip.

You do get more room in the Green Car, and definitely a very much less crowded atmosphere. Usually very quiet and serene.

Like I say, up to you and your budget.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Green and ordinary rail passes

I always used Green car because of the large amount of luggage I carry (skis, snowboard ...) but now only use ordinary class for most trips.

I book the rear 2 seats & use the additional luggage storage behind the seats.

I personally don't think it's worth the extra cost.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
305 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Green and ordinary rail passes

Thank-you very much for your responses. As we are a family of four. If we can get away with the ordinary rail pass, that would be great. We would rather spend the extra money doing some more interesting things rather than travelling from A to B.

Level Contributor
351 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Green and ordinary rail passes

We're a family of four as well and we used green. The cars were almost always empty and it was easy to get non-smoking. My husband is tall and I think it helped to get the extra leg room. Kids 12 and under get a reduced rate. It was also incredibly easy to get reservations at no extra charge (I don't know if that applies to the regular). I was very glad we went green. We traveled to four different cities and I was so sorry to see the rail pass expire with a few days left on our trip.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Green and ordinary rail passes

This is very true. If your budget can handle it then you should get one, no doubt about it. The other thing that factors into the equation is whether or not you are gaining much leverage or breaking even or even losing money in buying the pass. If you're getting 2:1 or 3:1 leverage (2X or 3X value vs individually purchasing tickets) then the added cost of the green pass is also leveraged so again, it's even less significant if you can amortize the premium over cheaper average distance cost.

<<<Only you can decide if it is worth it--depends on your budget and how many days you are going for.>>>

San Francisco
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Green and ordinary rail passes

We just got back last weekend and had the green passes. We did board an ordinary car once and, although they're perfectly adequate, you do get larger seats, more leg room, and footrests in the green cars. They do seem less crowded, too. The footrest was a godsend for me because we were pounding miles of pavement everyday (lots of stairs in the stations) so I put the footrest to good use. My son thought we could have put the extra $95 US per pass to better use (we had the 7-day), so it was worth it for me, not worth it for him!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Green and ordinary rail passes

I will also say that the Ordinary seats are quite comfortable and spacious. Maybe the Green cars are a bit less crowded, but a full Ordinary car is not in any way unpleasant.

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Green and ordinary rail passes

The regular standard reserved or non-reserved seating has more than adequate even for tall people. The reservation procedure is the same for any class of cars. The green cars are being phased out slowly as it is not utilized enough as you see too many empty seats. So if you want to pay an extra for it, now is the time to use it. It may not be available in the future.