We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gunma from Tokyo

Cali
Level Contributor
98 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Gunma from Tokyo

I was wondering how far is Gunma from Tokyo. My friend would like to go here and see the place (influenced by anime, Initial D). Anywho, I was wondeirng from Tokyo how far is it and how to get there. Will this take a whole day trip from Tokyo?

Thanks in advance!

anna =0)

Cali
Level Contributor
98 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gunma from Tokyo

Follow up question, we're also going to Nikko for a day trip. Will it be possible to see Gunma (maybe to an onsen) then to Nikko and then back to Tokyo?

Advise please...thank you so much!

anna=0D

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,941 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gunma from Tokyo

This is at least a two day trip, and preferably, you should have a car. You can drive or take the train to Karuizawa, then head onto the Usui Pass to Gunma, and then eventually to Mt. Haruna and the lake (Mt. Akina), where you can drive the real road of the Takumi Fujiwara home track (it's much shorter in real life and has numerous man-made speedbumps). Then you can head to Shibukawa, the home of Takumi. From there, the drive to Nikko is a solid two plus hours, and around 2:30 for the train.

The drive to Karuizawa from Tokyo with traffic is about 2:30 hours. On Shinkansen, it's 75 minutes. If you really want to rent a car, you should take the train to Omiya first and rent from there so you can bypass most of Tokyo's city traffic.

seattle
Level Contributor
676 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gunma from Tokyo

We recently stayed a couple of nights at Kusatsu Onsen, a town in Gunma Prefecture built around natural hot springs. Great time with our single full day there walking the sites of what turned out for us to be a very charming onsen town with diverse attractions in a mountain setting. There is a place called Yubatake, a hot springs field that emerges in the center of the town, that is a central attraction; also a park called Sai No Kawara, which is an amazing walk going from one natural hot spring pool to another with shrines and other features along the way. Prices for knick-nacks and clothing at some of the shops were very reasonable compared to those in some other areas we visited. You can see a ski slope from the town, so expect that it is an active winter destination. There is an interesting history associated with the town and hot springs, too long to go into here, but accessible at http://www.kusatsu-onsen.org/ and other sites that will come up using Google. Access by train can vary, but the various routes end up at Naganoharakusatsuguchi, with a 30 min bus ride from there to Kusatsu Onsen. We found the most straightforward from Tokyo to be a limited express (Ltd Express Kusatsu 2 & 3) going direct from Ueno station to Naganoharakusatsuguchi and back, with 2.5 h travel time and no train changes. The bus from Naganoharakusatsuguchi is timed to pick up passengers arriving by this train from Ueno and travels through some very picturesque scenery going to Kusatsu Onsen. Folks here at TripAdvisor were very helpful in helping me figure out the train/bus access, so thought I would pass on this information as a form of paying forward.

Cali
Level Contributor
98 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gunma from Tokyo

Since I was also thinking of experiencing an onsen, kusatsu is perfect since it is in the Gunma prefecture.

Let's say we stay a night in Kusatsu, are the places like the Usui Pass, Akina close to each other and in Kusatsu?

The plan is, like suggested above, train to Omiya and rent a car there and then drive to Gunma. Also, is there a car rental place in Gunma already? Maybe it's better to just take train to Gunma and then rent car there?

Thanks!

anna

seattle
Level Contributor
676 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gunma from Tokyo

I can't help much about cars except to point you to a web site:

www2.tocoo.jp/?file=rentcar_inbound/main. There is a link to renting cars in Gunma prefecture at that site. We enjoyed the town of Kusatsu Onsen very much.

Cali
Level Contributor
98 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gunma from Tokyo

thank you for the site!!!

7. Re: Gunma from Tokyo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 15:18