We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fraser Place, Oakwood or Sunroute Plaza (all in Shinjuku)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Fraser Place, Oakwood or Sunroute Plaza (all in Shinjuku)

There are 4 of us - Mum, Dad, adult daughter, teenage son. We are planning to stay at one of these places for 3 nights, though not sure if Oakwood has a vacancy yet. We will have either 2 rooms at Sunroute, or a super deluxe 2 bedroom apartment at Fraser Place, or perhaps a 2 bedroom apartment at Oakwood.

Sunroute is a 5 minute walk to Shinjuku Station, the other two are about a 15 minute walk, I gather.

I have arthritis in my knees, so can't walk much. We would be getting taxis to and from the apartments and Shinjuku Station each day if we stayed there.

The price for Sunroute and Fraser Place works out about the same. At Fraser Place we would have a laundry and kitchen and a living room which we wouldn't get at Sunroute.

Can anyone help me make up my mind which to decide on?

Tokyo
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fraser Place, Oakwood or Sunroute Plaza (all in Shinjuku)

I think Fraser is new so don't know much about that but i'd go with Oakwood. Once you exit Shinjuku station its a straight shot to the Hotel (can just point straight when u get in the cab). Its about a 10 minute walk so you'll get their within on the basic cab fare (720 yen). The staff is fully bilingual and on call 24hrs.

Half the building is Residential so the elevators (only 3 for a 369 room/32F building) will be busy during Morning/Evenings.

Your family can relax in the 32F lounge (sofas, plasta TV, grand piano, open bar) with nearly a 360 view of all of Shinjuku... quite a sight.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fraser Place, Oakwood or Sunroute Plaza (all in Shinjuku)

Thanks for the reply Ebisuhapa

I had given up on getting one. I think Oakwood would be best, but I can't find out if they have a 2 or 3 bed apartment until about 8th of June (2 weeks before we go). Fraser place has a 2 bed apartment available, but it seems too far out of the way to me, and in a dodgy area, apparently.

Sunroute Plaza looks good, but we may be given 2 rooms on different floors, which isn't so good when you're travelling as a family. Also it means there's nowhere to relax together after dinner. I have booking with Sunroute, but if we can get Oakwood, I may cancel it.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fraser Place, Oakwood or Sunroute Plaza (all in Shinjuku)

I saw from your other posting that you were still deciding which hotel to stay at. However, you did not mention that you have problems with your knees.

In this case, you DEFINITELY should choose between the Century Southern Tower and Sunroute Plaza. Both are located in the south side (far more pedestrian friendly than the west and east sides) of Shinjuku station. Being the busiest train station in the country, Shinjuku station is a massive behemoth. It takes some time to just walk from the train platforms to the exit floors. Then, you will need to find the correct exit. There are elevators and escalators but still you will need to walk a bit. (Wear some good shoes!) You don't want to agonize your body more by lengthening the distance between the station exit and your hotel.

In fact, I think the CST is slightly more convenient than the Sunroute. From the Shinjuku station to CST, you can utilize the escalators and the exit is well marked/lit. The exit you should use is the Southern Terrace Exit or South Exit, which are newer and less crowded than the west exit.

southerntower.co.jp/english/access/index.html

Bear in mind that the airport bus stops at both CST and Sunroute Plaza but not the Oakwood. Also, platforms of the Narita Express airport train are in the southern end of Shinjuku station (see map below). I traveled with my mom (she had severe arthritis) and we stayed at the CST--we carried two big suitcases but the trip between our hotel and the Narita Express platform was easy. We, in fact, were shocked by how convenient the CST was.

To help navigating in Tokyo, print out (in color) maps of major stations: Shinjuku, Tokyo, Ueno, Shibuya, and Shimbashi. Note that north is not always pointing upwards in Japanese maps.

www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/index.html#S

Tokyo
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fraser Place, Oakwood or Sunroute Plaza (all in Shinjuku)

One other thing about Shinjuku Oakwood. It isnt a HOTEL but a SERVICED APARTMENT so there are no restaurants within the building. Its meant to be catered to long term business residents (Expatriates, long term business trip execs). There is No room service, no 24hr maid service and with random people entering the property as guests of tenants (since half of the rooms are normally leased apartments) there may be a safety issue.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fraser Place, Oakwood or Sunroute Plaza (all in Shinjuku)

We will actually be arriving from Takayama (via Nagoya). Do we have to change trains at Tokyo Station as we will be on a Shinkansen? I think so.

I'm thinking of going with CST as the views sound great, but in my other post I mention that booking the rooms isn't straightforward. The hotel doesn't give an email address on their website and I don't have a fax machine. Ringing them would be quite expensive too.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fraser Place, Oakwood or Sunroute Plaza (all in Shinjuku)

I tried to book on the internet but it didn't work so I ended up ringing them. I now have 2 rooms booked on the non-smoking floor next to each other with easterly views for AU$1600 approx for 3 nights. This is only a bit more expensive than Sunroute Plaza, and I'm looking forward to the view.

7. Re: Fraser Place, Oakwood or Sunroute Plaza (all in Shinjuku)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 18:19