We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo is average and for the money is not worth the visit...

Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tokyo is average and for the money is not worth the visit...

There are too many cosmopolitan destinations to enjoy before you visit this very expensive 1979 styled techno city. We sort of enjoyed ourselves until we got the bill. My advice would be to stay a day or two and head back to the Airport.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tokyo is average and for the money is not worth the visit...

Last I checked, not many people sought out Japan when looking to travel to a "cosmopolitan destination."

My own feeling about Tokyo is that it isn't worth much more than a couple of days' visit, also, but for different reasons. (Not only because of the attitudes gained from living in another part of Japan! Regional chauvinism is in effect there just as it is in the States.) Japan is a fascinating place, full of cultural contradictions and one of the safest countries in the world. So I can't see why anyone would spend a half-day on a plane to visit an overpriced smog bowl where many of the people are trying desperately to not be what they are, only to beat feet back home, either.

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
260 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tokyo is average and for the money is not worth the visit...

I disagree! We really enjoyed the completely different cultural and social environment of Tokyo - it was clean, safe, and so many little quirks that were different than in the USA/ Europe (husband was amazed at variety of toilets)... Yes, some things in Japan can be expensive, but there are less expensive choices too! We ate at tempura houses for a few bucks and up to expensive meals at high end places - we never had a bad meal no matter what the price! Shopping can be done at fancy dept stores or 100 yen shops which had stuff you wouldn't believe for basically a $1...

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
452 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tokyo is average and for the money is not worth the visit...

Tokyo's wonderful!!! Last October I took my first trip abroad to Tokyo and it was amazing! It's given me the bug to travel everywhere.

Tokyo is safe, clean and polite. It's the perfect combination of old and new. On a Sunday you can eat crepes, shop and check out the Goths & Yamamba on Yoyogi Bridge in trendy Harajuku, then cross that bridge to arrive at a pebbled path that leads to the Meiji Shrine with it's beautiful traditional gardens and tall trees, at the end of the path you may get a glimpse of a traditional wedding.

The next day, you might decide to go to Sanrio Puroland (Hello Kitty's theme park), or to visit Nihon Minka-en a beautiful outdoor house museum. The entire city is an adventure if you're brave enough to take the trains! ;-D

I think the biggest mistake that Americans make when travelling there is to limit their expeditions to the business district of Shinjuku and the Westernized area of Roppongi.

It's not the kind of place where you can arrive and ask locals where to go. Their culture dictates a very strict work ethic and their idea of fun differs dramatically from that of Americans.

Take the time to learn more about the city before you go to find out what YOU want to do and you'll have an amazing trip! ;-D

Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tokyo is average and for the money is not worth the visit...

we followed the Frommers online two day list of sights to visit. It seemed to be a good representation of Tokyo. Also note, Tokyo is a very unromantic setting. We spent $$$, $$, $ at 3, 4 and 5 star restaurants. The Japanese food is better in the States. No new designer stores we don't already have in the States and the cheap stuff was just cheap stuff just like you can get in any country's Asian market. We took trains, boat, taxis, a bus, and walked a lot. The Japanese in Tokyo seemed like friendly burnt out first class service robots and like they need a month off. We did feel totally safe everywhere but all in all the visit was not worth the cost.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,283 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tokyo is average and for the money is not worth the visit...

I can understand why someone would have a poor opinion of Tokyo, an ugly, crowded city with almost no sense of history. This was my impression on my first visit but after going more than 40 times it is one of only three or four capital cities that I would miss if I wasn't able to visit again.

I have visited more than 60 countries in the last 25 years and I have no doubt that Japan is the most civilised country in the world. I don't believe there is any other country where you can wander around in complete safety at any time of the day or night, including areas such as East Shinjuku, among thousands of young people on a Saturday night, or in a quiet park at midnight; where you can ask anyone for help without any possibility of getting into trouble; where people will sometimes buy a map and give it to you if you ask for directions; where everyone does their very best to provide the service you are paying for; where losing your wallet means that it will be delivered to your hotel with the contents intact; where the transport system works perfectly and where almost everyone will treat you with courtesy at all times.

Tokyo is not my favourite Japanese city but it is certainly my favourite among the world's capitals. I will know that I really am getting old when I don't feel a sense of excitement as I board the bus at Narita, knowing that I will be in central Tokyo in less than two hours.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,030 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tokyo is average and for the money is not worth the visit...

=========================================

The Japanese food is better in the States

=========================================

That pretty much sums it up for you. Say no more.

At least I hope you were referring to Japanese food in Japan town in L.A. and not some Korean operated, or worse, HongKong Chinese-operated knockoffs (you know.. $10.99 all-you-can-eat sushi)

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
260 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tokyo is average and for the money is not worth the visit...

n2mybox- Hmm, How is it possible that "Japanese" food is better in the States? That is just not possible - unless you mean you prefer the "Americanized" Japanese food from certain restaurants in the USA to the "Authentic" Japanese food in Japan.

Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tokyo is average and for the money is not worth the visit...

I went to Tokyo for six nights in May and could've stayed a month. The museums alone could keep you busy for a week. The city is full of unexpected pleasures--like the elderly woman who approached me in a park while waiting for the waterbus one morning, gave me seedlings to take home, told me about her life and kept me company on the journey up to Akasuka. Or the waitress who saw me hovering outside a little sushi restaurant at Tsukiji, intimidated to enter, and opened the door with a warm smile and waived me inside. Or the countless subway workers who helped me with ticket machines and routes and maps and pay phones. Or the traditional marriage ceremonies held at Meiji Shrine just a short walk from the Goth kids who hang out in Harajuku.

Tokyo is not pretty, at least at first. As I arrived, looking around at all the ugly concrete buildings, I thougth, "why in the world have I come here?" But get out onto street level, especially off the main roadways, and you'll find charming shops, gorgeous little shrines...and the best-dressed people in the world, I think.

Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tokyo is average and for the money is not worth the visit...

Tokyo wasn't a was a total waste just give limited travel funds and vacation time I think Tokyo is cost prohibitive even if it was an architectural, culinary and or shopping wonder which it isn't.

10. Re: Tokyo is average and for the money is not worth the visit...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2005, 22:48