We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Tokyo daytrip with teen?

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
300 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Which Tokyo daytrip with teen?

I'm in the planning stages of a 14-day trip to Japan with 17 year old son. Looks like we will spend about 4 nights in Tokyo and equal time in Kyoto as well as a trip to Hiroshima and maybe a couple of other stops (1 night) between.

If we plan one day trip from Tokyo, any thoughts on which would be most interesting for son: Kamakura, Hakone, or Nikko?

He's more interested in anime and big city Tokyo than in culture, so would we be better off staying in Tokyo for our 4 days and leaving the temples, shrines, etc for our time in Kyoto?

Also, any thoughts whether he would enjoy staying in a Buddhist temple (Mt Koya)? I know I'd like to do it, but I'd rather skip it than drag him along unwillingly....

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,091 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Tokyo daytrip with teen?

You might want to stop at Himeji for a couple of hours to see the castle, on the way to or from Hiroshima. I think I saw one report that it appealed to kids or teens with visions of ninja and samauri waving swords.

Hakone might be fun for him (and you)--you take a swtich-back railway, a cable car and a ropeway, with view of fuming sulphurous wasteland, pretty lake and possibly Mt. Fuji.

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Tokyo daytrip with teen?

The following places might be of interest to him.

http://www.kyotomm.com/english/

Kyoto International Manga Museum

http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/en/

Ghibli Museum

http://www.admt.jp/en/index.html

Ad museum.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
300 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Tokyo daytrip with teen?

Thanks for the suggestions. Hakone looks great for us; will definitely put it on the list.

I was aware of the Ghibli museum, but not the other two -- will check them out. Sounds right up his alley.

London
Level Contributor
449 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Tokyo daytrip with teen?

Some great suggestions above. He might well be interested in a shop called Madarake as well. There's some info here, plus the different locations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandarake

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,662 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Tokyo daytrip with teen?

I am in the same boat as you--a 2 week trip with a 16 year old son in my case...it would be his first trip overseas.My intinerary so far, all subject to change is:

Tokyo-first 2 nights to recover from travel

Nagasaki-2 nights

Beppu area-2 nights (or elsewhere in Kyushu)

Then probably 2 days in Kyoto area.

Rest of the time-Tokyo

My trip is at Xmas/N Years, hence the desire to stay in Tokyo for the final week an NYears. I don't want to do a lot of long distance travelling that week. For the trips to Nagasaki, Kyushu, Kyoto I would be using 1 week rail pass.

Would be interested in your thoughts---I am sure my son won't be too interested in temples etc, or at least not an overload of them. He likes the bright lights, etc and of course things that would be a little off beat.

Anyone else who would comment on what their teenagers liked the most in Japan--it would be great to hear.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
300 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Tokyo daytrip with teen?

Maple G: You will have to let me know how it goes on your trip.

I've about decided that Tokyo will be more for him and Kyoto for me! Hakone and Hiroshima I think we'll both enjoy.

I'm thinking of staying in the Cerulean Towers Hotel in Tokyo, as that seems to be the "in" area for the young with lots to see and do nearby.

Here is a link to some other activities in Tokyo that your son might find interesting:

hisexperience.jp/index.php…

I'm thinking of booking the "Ninja" one for DS and also plan to do the Akihabara Otaku Experience. It may be a little cheesy but I think he'll like it.

Durham
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Tokyo daytrip with teen?

MapleG,

I know from experience that that train journey to Nagasaki is a long one. You'll get great value from your rail pass traveling that far though.

I'd recommend studying the train timetables before your trip to find a good connection at Shin-Osaka. I had to wait there for 1 hour the last time I went to Kyushu. The Hikari Shinkansen you can use with the rail pass run much less frequently that the Nozomi that you can't use.

When you're there I'd recommend the Atomic Bomb Museum and also the great views from Inasa-yama.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,091 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Tokyo daytrip with teen?

Check out this series of "Mum and Teen Reports." There might be some good stuff:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294232-i525-k2013…

The top posting has links to her previous postings.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
300 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Tokyo daytrip with teen?

Thanks RogerR-Phila -- I read all the trip reports; good stuff there for sure!

Here is my tentative Tokyo plan as of now:

Tokyo Day 1 -- Arrive pm; limousine bus to hotel; walk around Shibuya, people watch, and acclimate.

Tokyo Day 2 -- Morning: take boat up Sumida river to Asakusa, visit Sensoji Temple and Nakamise Dori. Early afternoon: Ninja class (!). Late afternoon: Kabuki performance at Kabuki-za theater in Ginza, hopefully a chance to walk around Ginza a bit before or after.

Tokyo Day 3 -- Morning: Edo-Tokyo museum. Afternoon: Akihabara stroll with Otaku guide; if there is time will also check out Harajuku scene (this is a Sunday!) and/or Yoyogi Park

Tokyo Day 4 -- Daytrip to Hakone (know it's a long day....)

Tokyo Day 5 -- Morning: ??? Afternoon/Evening: Odaiba via Yurikamome monorail over Rainbow bridge.

Can anyone advise what time we should plan to head back from Odaiba (e.g., does transportation stop running at some point)? Is taking the ferry back in the evening a good idea?

Also, what time do things start to "wind down" in Yoyogi park? (E.g., if we get there after 4pm, for instance, will anything be going on?)

Thanks for everyone's help! Obviously, I like to plan well in advance. Now, on to Kyoto....

New York
Level Contributor
369 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Tokyo daytrip with teen?

Hi,

Based on reading this thread, I am thinking about putting Hakone back into our Japan itinerary. I am also traveling with 2 teens, 15 and 16. Do we have to reserve ahead of time for the Hakone activities, e.g., switchback railway, cable car, etc. as mentioned above? Any websites for these Hakone activities?

Also, can we add a hot spring experience into this day trip (plan to leave Tokyo and stop in Hakone for the day before continuing on to Kyoto in the evening for evening check in in Kyoto hotel). If we leave Tokyo early, would this day trip be reasonable to do en route to Kyoto from Tokyo?

Thanks for any input?