We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morning rush hour Tokyo & Yokohama

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dunedin, New Zealand
2 posts
Save Topic
Morning rush hour Tokyo & Yokohama

My wife & I are planning to travel from Yokohama to Kanazawa via Joetsu Shinkansen on a Thurs morning. One option would be to leave Yokohama 09:02 (JR Tokaido). We would have 15 minutes to transfer to Shinkansen Tanigawa leaving Tokyo 09:44.

Will this still be rush hour in Yokohama & Tokyo? How big a problem are we setting ourselves up for? What time would you recommend to leave Yokohama?

Thanks for any help.

Yokohama
Level Contributor
849 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Morning rush hour Tokyo & Yokohama

9:00 morning Yokohama is a bit crowded so you have better take green car on Tokaido line if you have big luggage.

If I were you,

Leave Yokohama 09:28 JR Tokaido Green Car(+750Yen)

Transfer to Joetsu Shinkansen MAX Toki 317 leaving 10:17 from Tokyo. Transfer to Hakutaka 8Gou at Echigo-Yuzawa.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
634 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Morning rush hour Tokyo & Yokohama

I don't know how much big luggage you would have from Yokohawa to Tokyo station.

But it is not so crowded that you can't bring it in train with you. So you just get a JR Tokaido line earlier than your plan for condsidering a few minutes delay at Tokyo station. It is not such a far btw Yokohama/ Tokyo. You can find a space for your bag in not green car cabin. Save cost and get nice Bento(Lunchbox)s at Tokyo station to bring in Shinkansen which you can eat and enjoy on your journey.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Morning rush hour Tokyo & Yokohama

I might suggest you to travel to Kanazawa via Maibara. If you head to Kanazawa via Echigo-Yuzawa through the Hokuhoku Line, you'll be imposed of 1,450 yen surcharges even with the JR pass, as the Hokuhoku Line isn't a JR track. Also you could avoid taking Tokyo bound packed train.

Yokohama 9:14--(Yokohama Line for Hashimoto)-->9:27 Shin-Yokohama 9:52--(Shinkansen Hikari)-->11:49 Maibara 11:59--(limited express Shirasagi)--> 13:51 Kanazawa

The trains above all run the JR tracks.

Hope this helps.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Morning rush hour Tokyo & Yokohama

Yokohama railway map:

…yokohama.jp/eng/tourism/walking/1010.html

Earth, Texas
Level Contributor
189 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Morning rush hour Tokyo & Yokohama

Give yourself more than 15 minutes transfer time at Tokyo station. I say at least 30 mins. Trains run frequently that time of day but dont take big bags with you and you will be fine. The Shinkansen also leaves from Shinagawa so you should check if the train you want also departs from there. Another train you could consider to get to Tokyo from Yokohama is the JR yokosuka line. It makes a couple of more stops but tends to be a bit less crowded than the Tokaido line.

Dunedin, New Zealand
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Morning rush hour Tokyo & Yokohama

Thanks for all the feedback. It's great getting different points of view. It helps get a better understanding of what we're in for.

I neglected to mention that we'll be traveling on a JR rail pass so we weren't planning to use green cars. Could we use a green car with the rail pass if we paid the extra surcharge? Would that give us a reserved seat?

We decided to go via Echigo-Yuzawa as we'll be returning to Yokohama via Tokaido Shinkansen & want to avoid covering the same ground twice. We considered going via Nagaoka to avoid the Y1450 surcharge, but services out of there are too infrequent & would add too much to travel time.

We'll probably just have cabin bags on the train & ship our suitcases to Kanazawa - don't want to make the transfer at Tokyo any more memorable than it needs to be :) I like the idea of leaving Yokohama earlier to give more time at Tokyo. The last thing we want is a mad panic trying to find the right platform.

The goal really is to pick a time that avoids the peak rush hour scramble for seats.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Morning rush hour Tokyo & Yokohama

Yuzu,

They are using the Joetsu Shinkansen which I believe launches from Tokyo Station, however the idea to use the Yokosuka Line is probably a good one due to less crowding.

<<The Shinkansen also leaves from Shinagawa so you should check if the train you want also departs from there. Another train you could consider to get to Tokyo from Yokohama is the JR yokosuka line. It makes a couple of more stops but tends to be a bit less crowded than the Tokaido line.>>>

Tokyo
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Morning rush hour Tokyo & Yokohama

I understand your situation.

I might alternatively suggest you to catch the Narita Express to Tokyo, then change to the Joetsu Shinkansen.

Yokohama 8:28 -> 8:57 Tokyo

An advanced booking for this train is necessary. You are entitled to take this train with no extra charge on the JR pass. You could secure your semi private space on this train, unlike on commuter trains.

You better kill time over a coffee at Tokyo.

How to deal with your luggage:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2274.html

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html

My 2 cents.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Morning rush hour Tokyo & Yokohama

optimistk:

Can you use the NEX for non-airport travel? I'm just curious. If not, they need to reserve a seat the the airport and depart at Shinagawa? I've never seen anyone do this (get off at an intermediate station).

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Morning rush hour Tokyo & Yokohama

By the way, if this is OK to do then it is absolutely the optimal way to go. I believe it even uses the Yokosuka Line tracks.