We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what times are rush hours in Tokyo? & a few more :)

St Louis, MO
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
what times are rush hours in Tokyo? & a few more :)

My family of 5 have a few trips in and out of Tokyo planned and I am looking at a great site I found at trip advisor for train schedules.

www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

On Saturday August 2nd, we travel to Echigoyuzawa for 2 nights from Tokyo. We are staying at the Grand Prince Asakasa in Tokyo. Are there times to avoid traveling on Saturday? What's the easiest way to get to Tokyo station from the hotel? We will be traveling lightly.

On Monday August 4th, we travel to Nikko for 2 nights. Are there times to avoid rush hour travel leaving Echigoyuzawa station in the morning?

On Wednesday August 6th, we travel back to Tokyo and the Grand Prince Asakasa for 2 nights.

Thanks for any help! I think I am finally starting to get a handle on this train stuff. :)

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,157 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what times are rush hours in Tokyo? & a few more :)

The weekday rush hour peaks are between 8am and 9am in the morning, and shortly after 5pm in the evening.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2020.html

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what times are rush hours in Tokyo? & a few more :)

Assuming you meant Grand Prince Akasaka, walk down to Akasaka-Mitsuke subway station and catch the Marunouchi Line subway train (red stripe) bound for Tokyo Station. You'll get off on the far west side of the station. Follow the signs through the tunnel to the JR platforms.

Oz
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: what times are rush hours in Tokyo? & a few more :)

What we found, just as a rule of thumb, travel on trains/subway after 9.30am and return before 4.30pm . Weekdays and weekends. Saturday in Tokyo seemed to operate as a typical work day and the local trains out of Tokyo were often full with students going to or coming from sports training.

St Louis, MO
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: what times are rush hours in Tokyo? & a few more :)

ok...i didn't even see that typo on the hotel name :)

thanks for the information on rush hour and metro line to take! I think we will try and leave Tokyo station on the 9:28 Shinkansen. It's nice to get confirmation on the details!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
617 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what times are rush hours in Tokyo? & a few more :)

Sorry to hijack, but I have a similar question.

We plan to connect to a 7.33 Shinkansen to Kyoto, and will catch a Chuo line train from Shinjuku about 7am or just before.

Would I would be safe to assume that at this time it wont be too crowded (ie not peak time yet)?

I know Japanese trains are efficiant, but how how much time should we allow to change platforms and trains at Tokyo (and find out where to go!! etc)

Thanks,

jeffyg

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what times are rush hours in Tokyo? & a few more :)

The Shinkansen will head off exactly on time.

Tokyo station is a big busy confusing place. If you plan to cut things that tightly, be sure you know exactly where you are going within it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
617 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what times are rush hours in Tokyo? & a few more :)

im looking at giving myself 15 mins... will that be enough?

Toronto
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: what times are rush hours in Tokyo? & a few more :)

Shinagawa is a good alternative to take Shinkansen to Kyoto, its just a few steps from local train to

Shinkansen. But the bad side is, if you arrive at the station early there's no shops to browse around, you can only sit on the platform to wait for the train.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
617 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what times are rush hours in Tokyo? & a few more :)

thanks for that... Ill look into it.

Is this a less busy station?

How much connection time should we allow?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what times are rush hours in Tokyo? & a few more :)

Hi Jeffyq

Having just come back from Japan, I would say allow a lot more time than you think you'll need. We caught a train from Shinjuku to Shinagawa to connect with a Shinkansen to Osaka (the same one you'll be getting probably). The Shinkansen platforms are a long way from the local platforms. Shinagawa is supposed to be smaller than Tokyo Station. It does have a shopping area of some kind off to one side. It seems quite new - we went in there and had lunch while we waited for our Shinkansen as we didn't reserve ahead and had to wait over an hour for a train where the 4 of us could sit together.