We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking

Boston...
Level Contributor
294 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking

Any recommendations for the best hiking spots close to Tokyo?

Nikko? Shoshenkyo Gorge?

Kyoto, Japan
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking

The most popular hiking trail close to tokyo today is Takao-san or Mt. Takao for visitors.

takaotozan.co.jp/takaotozan_eng1/…index.htm

I like Kamakura near my residence. I sometimes walk back from kamakura along the trail. Actullay there are several hiking trails behind temples in Kamakura. some examples are in the following guide page:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3113.html

The above trails are all easy for everybody can walk in one, two or three hours.

in Nikko area, I walked with my old company friends only once long time ago. The area has many trails even for upgraded hikers or mountain climbers to walk and stay one night at mountain lodges. However, I do not see much information in English. One example is:

…wordpress.com/2008/…

I am sorry I don’t know the other one you picked up.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,225 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking

My Japanese colleagues used to scoff at my Sunday hikes on Takaosan, which they did not consider a real mountain. But it is pleasant; many well-marked trails, a temple-shrine complex, a cable car. It's also a chance to be out with everyday people taking a day in the country. A warning: I first hiked to the top by way of a long roundabout route, and was shocked to find the top paved over and fitted with restaurants.

There are many other opportunities for hiking in the mountains outside Tokyo, on trails where you may not see another soul, but I know of no English-language maps.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking

I used to escape city life in the Chichibu/Okutama region - trains from Shinjuku to Mitake etc....also wonderful stays at Komadaori Sanso near the shrine...a priest is the manager...wonderful one person wood bath...on a clear day you can see the Shinjuku buildings in the distanace.

here's some bacis info

jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/pdf/pg-303.pdf

amanda

4. Re: Hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 17:18