We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternatives to Cerulean Tower in Shibuya?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Alternatives to Cerulean Tower in Shibuya?

I was originally hoping to stay in the Cerulean Tower hotel but it is proving too expensive for five nights.

Can anyone propose a good alternative in Shibuya (where my teen son really wants to stay)?

I was also considering the Sunroute Shinjuku which sounds very convenient with lots of shopping (for me!) and close to the trains. The price is certainly good. But would my son be less happy with this choice?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,790 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternatives to Cerulean Tower in Shibuya?

How about the Excel Tokyu Shibuya? I've never stayed here before but location-wise you can't beat this one--it's right above Shibuya Station. My teenage son and I both love Shibuya but don't care for staying in Shinjuku:

tokyuhotelsjapan.com/en/…index.html

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternatives to Cerulean Tower in Shibuya?

I took a look at the Excel and it does look good. Unfortunately it's almost the same price as Cerulean Tower (about $10 difference per night).

Any other possibilities? Sounds like I want to stay in Shibuya based on your experience!

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,790 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternatives to Cerulean Tower in Shibuya?

I don't know exactly when you're going but you should be able to find a twin room at the Excel for $180/night or less if you search right. Japanese websites, such as Rakuten and Jalan usually have better deals. The following hotels are less expensive and are located close to Shibuya Station:

Shibuya Tokyu Inn, Hotel Mets Shibuya, Shibuya Granbel, and Tokyu Stay Shin-Minamiguchi.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,786 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternatives to Cerulean Tower in Shibuya?

I stayed at Sunroute Shinjuku, and I have teen aged sons (heading to Japan with my 16 yr old in 10 days!)

I can't see your son being unhappy with the Shinjuku area..assuming he has the typical teen age likes and dislikes I would predict he would be happy there.

What was he so keen to see at Shibuya? (and he you can always head there on a short train journey))

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,790 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternatives to Cerulean Tower in Shibuya?

>>>I can't see your son being unhappy with the Shinjuku area..assuming he has the typical teen age likes and dislikes I would predict he would be happy there.<<<

I don't think anybody will be unhappy staying in Shinjuku. Shibuya is a very special place for young people--it's not called Mecca of Youth for no reason. That said, it'll be easier to find reasonably priced hotels in Shinjuku, and Shibuya is only 2 stops way by Yamanote or Fukutoshin line. See these videos of Shibuya:

geobeats.com/videoclips/japan/tokyo/shibuya

mustlovejapan.com/area/…

Tokyo
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternatives to Cerulean Tower in Shibuya?

If you stay in Tokyo by the middle of next February, staying at Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku wouldn't be that bad. The Southern Terrace Illimination Show is taking place just around the corner until then. It's flooded with lights at night.

…flickr.com/3222/3091413032_2626cf5c11_b.jpg

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternatives to Cerulean Tower in Shibuya?

That Illumination Show looks stunning! Unfortunately it will be over by the time we go.

I have booked a room at the Sunroute Plaza as a fallback and I'll keep looking at Shibuya Tokyu Excel or Cerulean to see if I can find a better deal closer to our trip.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Alternatives to Cerulean Tower in Shibuya?

Granbell Hotel in Shibuya. I've stayed there before (and Cerulean too). Great staff, newer hotel, clean rooms, right behind Cerulean. The single room can run for just $100, but it's very tiny.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alternatives to Cerulean Tower in Shibuya?

How much are you OK to spend per night?

As Shibuyakko is also told about hotels in Shibuya,

You can find a hotel by RAKUTEN TRAVEL, which is very famous Internet travel site in Japan. English page is available.

http://travel.rakuten.co.jp/en/

Shbuya granbell hotel

http://www.granbellhotel.jp/index_e.html

Sakura Fleur Aoyama (5 min. from Shibuya sta.)

http://www.sakura-hotels.com/

Tokyu Stay Shibuya shin-minami guchi

http://www.tokyustay.co.jp/e/index.html

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alternatives to Cerulean Tower in Shibuya?

Granbell looks neat but the rooms seem very small for two. I was hoping to spend about $225 per night if possible.