We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit card or ATM

Quezon City
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Credit card or ATM

Hi experts, will anyone know which charges a smaller spread difference in terms of yen to US dollar? withdrawing from atm account or paying thru credit card?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,135 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit card or ATM

Ask you own bank. Every bank charges different fees, even among their own products.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit card or ATM

I second the advice to check with your bank, but in the case of ATMs, there may also be charges from the Japanese ATM's bank, in addition to charges from your own bank.

For example, the 24hr ATMs in 7-11 convenience stores that can handle international cards charge between 200 - 300 yen per transaction (can't remember exact amount).

Philadelphia , PA
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit card or ATM

For what it's worth -- I could only use my USA ATM card at the Post Offices in Tokyo.

The average 7/11 or local convenience store in Tokyo would not accept my ATM card.

When I got home, and matched up ATM withdrawals with the online www.xe.com/ucc currency converter, I THINK there was hardly a surcharge at all.

That being said, I agree with the posts advising you to contact your bank to check before arriving in Japan.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit card or ATM

I think credit cards charge less since there is no set fee, it is a percentage of the amount charged. For cash, I would use ATMs - load up at the airport Citibank and look for other intl banks around the city. The postal service is not the only place that accepts US ATM cards.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit card or ATM

so it seems it is best to use credit card, and

use ATM for cash withdrawal only, am I correct ?

Texas
Level Contributor
673 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit card or ATM

I found the best exchange rates for cash online prior to leaving for a recent trip to London, there is a major cash exchange that is currently doing no fee if you pay by e-check, but you have to allow time for the clearing then delivery. Sorry I don't still have the link, but it was one of the first two when I googled exchange dollars for gbp. They also do yen and various other world currency. However, to be fair, the major savings was the no fee vs. exchange within London with fee. Various credit cards, atm cards, and machines all have differing fees. There are some banks that offer cash back on atm fees charged as well. Another thing to keep in mind, smaller local businesses may not accept credit cards, and credit card transactions may take longer than just paying cash so may not be worth it for smaller transactions. Be sure to let your bank and credit card company know you will be traveling in Japan, I've seen it happen that a traveler's cards were cut off by banks fearing fraudulent charges when this was not done. Also, be sure to ask your bank about any limits on atm withdrawls, some banks limit to a certain amount per day or per transaction.

7. Re: Credit card or ATM

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 23:17