We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning our Tokyo visit -- specific questions

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Planning our Tokyo visit -- specific questions

I have been doing a lot of research for my trip to Japan, of which 6 days will be in Tokyo. (4 in Kyoto, overnight in Mt. Koya and overnight in Miyajima). I'm trying to plan a balance between teen son's interests (mostly Tokyo!) and mine.

Anyway, I am a nut about having a schedule, and there are a few specific questions that I am trying to nail down in terms of timing. Hopefully someone can help me answer some of these:

1) We are staying in Shinjuku (Sunroute Plaza) so are close to the Tokyo Metropolitan Gov't Office. Is it better to visit in the early morning or at night for views? I've heard both recommended.

2) We would like to see a baseball game. I've looked at the schedules and during the time we are in Tokyo (May 31-June 4) it appears the Tokyo Giants are not playing at home. I'm thinking we could go see the Seibu Lions on Wed. June 3 at 6pm. How easy/difficult is it to get to their stadium? How much time should I allow for transit and what time should we plan to arrive for the game?

3) Also, we would like to do the Kabuki "one act" matinee tickets. I cannot find on the English version of the site what time the matinees start. Can anyone tell me about what time we should plan to be there IF we want to attend the first matinee act?

Thank you so much for any help with these questions.

Cave Creek, Arizona
Level Contributor
88 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning our Tokyo visit -- specific questions

As far as the Tokyo Metro building - we went on the weekend @ midday - worked out great as it was a sunny, clear day. I guess if you are interested in seeing city lights - the evening would be best.

Check this website for Kabukiza theater near the Ginza district - Higashi Ginza station will put you right at the theater's doors.

www.shochiku.co.jp/play/kabukiza/theater/

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning our Tokyo visit -- specific questions

Thanks for that link. I had looked at it before but somehow managed to miss the times!

Now, if someone can help with the baseball questions?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,060 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning our Tokyo visit -- specific questions

1) As you may know there are two observatories at Tocho. On a clear day, you can see Mt. Fuji from South Tower. I like both observatories day and night:

www.metro.tokyo.jp/ENGLISH/TMG/observat.htm

2) It takes about an hour to get to Seibu Dome from Shinjuku. It requires 2-3 transfers, but it's not difficult. I suggest arriving around 5PM for a 6PM game. The Seibu RailWay operates special direct trains from Ikebukuro on game days. Looks like there is one at 4:33 PM on June 3rd (sorry, can't find one in English):

www.seibulions.jp/stadium/img/time_sche.pdf

You can also check train routes on Hyperdia. Your destination is Seibukyujomae.

3) June schedule is not out yet, but the first matinee usually starts at 11 AM:

www.kabuki-za.co.jp/english/program.html#0905

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning our Tokyo visit -- specific questions

Thank you Shibuyakko for tracking the baseball information down for me.

Do you think we will be okay to purchase tickets at the stadium or should we buy them in advance of the game? Do they sell team merchandise at the stadium like they do here in the US?

And one other follow up question about the Kabuki timing: how long does one act generally last?

I'm not sure what the chances are of a Mt. Fuji sighting in early June -- probably very slim, but we can always hope!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,733 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning our Tokyo visit -- specific questions

Stadium Access - japanball.com/japan_stadium_maps_invoice_sei…

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,733 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning our Tokyo visit -- specific questions

Stadium Access - japanball.com/japan_stadium_maps_invoice_sei…

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,060 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning our Tokyo visit -- specific questions

>>>Do you think we will be okay to purchase tickets at the stadium or should we buy them in advance of the game? Do they sell team merchandise at the stadium like they do here in the US?<<<

I see they are playing against the Swallows, not a very popular team, on June 3rd. I think you can get tickets at the stadium, but to be safe, I recommend getting them ahead. You can go to any Lawson convenient store and buy them from a machine. Ask a shopkeeper to help you. It'll help if you write down the team name and date.

>>>And one other follow up question about the Kabuki timing: how long does one act generally last?<<<

It depends on the program but usually 75-90 minutes. June schedule should come out at the beginning of May.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning our Tokyo visit -- specific questions

Thank you again......I think I have just about everything pinned down now.....although I'm sure I'll have things pop up once we arrive.

9. Re: Planning our Tokyo visit -- specific questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 23:17