We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will japan become cheaper due to economic crisis???????

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Will japan become cheaper due to economic crisis???????

"The fund's latest World Economic Outlook underscores the severity of Japan's recession, which is worse than its U.S. or European counterparts, and considered the worst since World War II. But the report also adds to the view that the worst will be over for the Japanese economy by the end of the year."

Here in oz things are getting cheaper for tourists as we try to encourage them to come here.

Will this happen in japan???

we are travelling there in Oct ,do you think we should book hotel now or hold on?

The yen is already not good with the oz dollar will it get better or worse.

Thanks for your opinions

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,563 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will japan become cheaper due to economic crisis???????

I would say don't hold your breath.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will japan become cheaper due to economic crisis???????

Things are getting cheaper for RESIDENTS. JR is issuing discount tickets for the Shinkansen, highway fees have been greatly reduced on weekends (IF your car is equipped with ETC, the electronic toll collecting device) and supermarktes are slashing prices to appeal to shoppers, to name just a few. I think things will remain the same pricewise as far as tourism goes...

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will japan become cheaper due to economic crisis???????

Japan has stayed relativley stagnant for quite awhile; I'd expect a little inflation before deflation. Often the cost of traveling to Japan gets compared unfavorably with other nations of Asia. But you can do Japan on a budget, and 'Japan on a budget', in my experience, costs about the same as (for example) Europe 'on a budget' and the experience is generally better (more comfortable rooms, in particular).

John W.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
680 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will japan become cheaper due to economic crisis???????

If you listen to the oil price predictions, it will double by the end of the year per barrel. Believing that, I will purchase a ticket for September now. As for the overall cost, I side with the others who say it will take longer to have an affect on tourism.

Texas
Level Contributor
673 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will japan become cheaper due to economic crisis???????

I don't know about Japan becoming cheaper, but on aa.com two days ago I found tickets from dfw-tokyo Narita for under $400 round trip. Yes, I was shocked and thrilled.

Texas
Level Contributor
673 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will japan become cheaper due to economic crisis???????

sorry, more info, the tickets were for July, and it was some special sale. I don't recall exact details but it was something like buy before end of April and fly before mid-October? You'd have to hunt their specials.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will japan become cheaper due to economic crisis???????

Forex at Y97/$1 means Japan is still outrageously expensive.

When forex gets back to 110 then Japan will be more reasonable.

Until then, Indonesia is on sale, with the rupiah at 11,000.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,793 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will japan become cheaper due to economic crisis???????

There is no telling. Oil prices and stock market aren't really based on the economy these days. The speculators control the financial markets in reality. In my opinion, we simply have no way of predicting what will happen.

Prices of most Japanese items generally haven't increased in years (except taxi fares). I have gone to some of the same restaurants every year and food prices have been constant. JR fares have been stable too, and as mentioned, they are offering more discounts with specials. Popular good hotels do increase in prices as demand increases (Century Southern Tower has increased in price notably in the past few years, and I expect Sunroute Shinjuku to as well given its good location and positive reviews).

If you see a special airfare, you should consider booking it. For the other things, wait until later.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
680 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will japan become cheaper due to economic crisis???????

The price of oil has a direct effect on air fares and they are creeping upward. The doubling of the price of oil is a T. Bone Pickins prediction. What miracle is supposed to take place in Japan to turn from "worse" to "over" by the end of the year?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will japan become cheaper due to economic crisis???????

Got our airfares for $700 oz return pp which i thought was ok.

And just paid $780 oz for 6 nights at the Chisun Inn Asakusa,

they are offering every 3rd night free at the moment

So all in all quite happy and cant wait till oct as we are taking our 7 month old so its going to be quite an experience/adventure.

thanks all