We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frivolous But Important Questions

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Frivolous But Important Questions

Hi,

I have a friend, who is absolutely nuts about Hello Kitty, wants me to get some Hello Kitty stuffs for her. Of course, she wants something unique and can only be found in Japan. I have read (at least for other things) that are certain items only available in Japan. Do you know unique items or shops for these kinds of thing?

I also like to get some graphic T-shirts. I have seen some really cool ones in magazines. I particularly want nice quality and form-fitting T-shirts. I read that Japan is a good place to buy things for man of "compact" or "jockey" sizes. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,089 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frivolous But Important Questions

there are LOTS of places that sell Hello Kitty things. Japanese girls/women are totally into Hello Kitty.....

I think if you go to the Sanrio Shops, you will be able to see some goods label "special edition" or you can ask the sales. Ask for "only in Japan" things.

I also think if you go to places that sell souvenirs, they often have Hello Kitty versions..... so that would be definitely only in Japan.

This is a good site to get an idea for summer of 2009.

www.sanrio.co.jp/english/goods/index.html

Go to the Recommended shops listed here:

sanrio.co.jp/shoppinginjapan/…recommend.html

The Japanese have really cool "electrical" appliances that are only in Japan. So cute.

Have fun.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,089 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frivolous But Important Questions

This one is even better!

sanrio.co.jp/shoppinginjapan/…index.html

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
680 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frivolous But Important Questions

Look for a Disney store. It's not worth going all the out to the park itself just to buy. Also, next to the Sanrio outlet in Harakuku is a soccer store that sells exclusive Japanese sports wear and Snoopy in a Japanese soccer outfit.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frivolous But Important Questions

The place to go for T-shirts is Ura-Hara, which is located near the Harajuku intersection. Thats the place where all the cool stuff is.

Everything is Asian sized, so proportions are smaller than apparel manufactured for the US and European markets.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
105 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frivolous But Important Questions

On the topic of friends with "nuts" obsessions, my cousin is crazy for Miffy (the rabbit) and Blythe dolls.

Are there any specific places I could go to look for these two characters? Neither are readily available in NZ.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frivolous But Important Questions

I noticed at some 100 yen shops that licensed things were available there that are not available in the US. At one, I saw some Disney gear that I know for a fact is not available in the US. I have no idea about Sanrio but there was plenty of that gear there, too.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,725 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Frivolous But Important Questions

Licensing works in their own peculiar ways. They often have exclusives that are country, regional or even store specific. Japan has many limited editions in all sorts of categories.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,365 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Frivolous But Important Questions

Some additional inforamtion for Hello Kitty stuffs:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294232-i525-k2735…

hong kong
Level Contributor
265 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Frivolous But Important Questions

don't know if you are going to different cities in japan or just tokyuo. there are often limited edition of hello kitty doll and other accessories (ie tokyo limited edition, kyoto limited edition, hokkaido limited ed, etc) you can go to sanrio stores or any small stores which sell this kind of stuff. i don't particularly look for these shops but they seems to be everywhere. even the onsen resorts souvenir shops will have them.

10. Re: Frivolous But Important Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2009, 06:23