We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanks for all your help - First timers, relax and enjoy!

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, England
Level Contributor
414 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Thanks for all your help - First timers, relax and enjoy!

Hi,

Just a quick but very big thanks to all those TA members who helped me with my questions before heading to Tokyo. Just got back and had an amazing time!

Thanks so much for help with transport / route suggestions and to mamajelli for the girly tips :0)

Tokyo is an amazing place, I don't think I have been anywhere where the locals are so very helpful. I speak no Japanese but got by fine pointing and referring to pics etc. Everyone was so lovely.

Everything is spotless and easier to get around than you might think. I was daunted as a first timer by the transport system at first, but settled into it straight away. There are signs and arrows everywhere, the ticket machines have an English option and maps showing the fare cost to each destination. Even if you do get the wrong ticket by accident, you can adjust your fare in the machine at the end (again an English option).

Tsukiji fish market def worth visit, I did both Nikko and Kamakura and loved them both (although think Nikko had the slight edge for me). Harajuku on a Sunday afternoon is great for photos of everyone in their cos-play outfits. Sibuya, Shinjuku and Ginza are just mind blowingly huge, with such an enomous choice of shops and seriously tall sky scrapers. Akihabara was an experience in itself, watch out for 'Anime' shops where there are signs banning under 18s, you may see more than you bargained for!!

Be prepared at temples etc for groups of school kids, I was photographed interviewed and even videoed by the teachers while they practised their English. Very sweet kids and have some great photos myself that they took for me!

Thanks to all for your hints, tips and suggestions. The destination experts on here really know their stuff and are invaluable. I went feeling a little daunted, but came back with very tired achey feet, tons of photos and a great big smile on my face. Enjoy people!

:0)

Japan
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanks for all your help - First timers, relax and enjoy!

Hi.

I'm so glad to know that you had a great time in Japan. For your next trip to Japan, try Okinawa.

Okinawa is a southern island of Japan.

It's a beautiful beach island and one of my favorite place.

FYI, check this site for your next trip!

http://www.okinawa-information.com/

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanks for all your help - First timers, relax and enjoy!

I think this is invaluable information for people who are intimidated by the rail system. It requires a little prep to understand what to expect but it is certainly not complicated to navigate if you do the correct planning. I still get twisted around occasionally at a strange station I'm visiting but most of the time the large station maps of the local area are always around near the portals to help you orient yourself to where you are.

<<<I was daunted as a first timer by the transport system at first, but settled into it straight away. There are signs and arrows everywhere, the ticket machines have an English option and maps showing the fare cost to each destination.>

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
296 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanks for all your help - First timers, relax and enjoy!

Thanks for posting. We are leaving in exactly one week for our trip that has been a year in the planning. I feel like I have everything in hand but still you have that faint worry or "what if" feeling. It makes me feel better knowing your experience was so positive!

4. Re: Thanks for all your help - First timers, relax and enjoy!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2009, 05:34