We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ANZ cards and atms

brisbane
Level Contributor
118 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
ANZ cards and atms

Hi everyone,

Just hoping someone will have some information for me as to whether my ANZ access(cirrus)card will be useful for withdrawing cash from atms in Tokyo? I have heard that post offices and 7-11's accept most cards, is this true?

I also have a cirrus Mastercard which I try not to use when travelling to withdraw cash because of the high cash advance charges, but would this be a safer bet?

I'd appreciate any advice you can give me!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ANZ cards and atms

I used my ANZ Access card to withdraw money from a Post Office in April. Luckily one of the staff showed me how to use the ATM machine.

I only did this because I ran out of cash. I got a better rate here with the exchange and took $3,000 Aust equivalent in Yen, just wore it around my waist in a money belt with no problems in the 3 weeks that we were there.

Japan is a cash society still and I did not want the worry of trying to find ATM's that would work.

Nishinomiya, Japan
Level Contributor
78 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ANZ cards and atms

I'm not sure about ANZ bank, but if it has the STAR or PLUS logo on the card, it should work in all Post Office atms (There are many of these but they are sometimes hard to find, might be closed when you really need one), Seven Bank ATMs (These are located is 7-11 stores), or Special SMBC bank atms (These are even harder to find). All three have English menus. I've had no problem using cards from various US banks at all three of these locations.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,299 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ANZ cards and atms

Other than the ATM in 7 11 I found the post ones hard to find, they are usually in railway station and tucked away in an unobrusive corner, ie under eacalators. They are also coloured green which may have helped the first time I was looking for one, becuasue I was looking for a red post office type of sign!

I used my credit union card and Guru his westpac and both worked fine....usually if the machine had an English menu we were OK...the ones in Lawson, SunRus and Family Mart don't work for aus cards

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ANZ cards and atms

We have an ANZ card with the plus sign on the back. It works in 7-11's 7 Bank atms, but there aren't any of those in Hokoriku if you go there (Kanazawa area).You are limited to 50,000 yen per day withdrawal.

My husband withdrew money from a PO atm in Kanazawa. It was open on a Sunday, but even though he says he pressed the "savings" button, he was given a cash advance. Our card is both a savings and credit card, so maybe PO atms can't differentiate.

By transferring money to our credit account over the internet as soon as we realized what had happened, we stopped the advance charges from accruing.

brisbane
Level Contributor
118 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ANZ cards and atms

Thanks all, that's a big help. My ANZ just says Maestro/Cirrus on the back, but has no Plus symbol, so i'm hoping that won't be a problem.

I will definitely bring alot of cash too.

Oz
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ANZ cards and atms

Cash is a priority for travel in Japan.

If you need to use your card, try to pay for your accommodation using your card and maintain a good cash flow.

japan
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ANZ cards and atms

PostOffice bank's ATMs have instructions in English while majority of bank ATMs do not.

I don't recommend getting cash with your credit card because of rip-off charges.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ANZ cards and atms

ANZ credit card has worked fine for our spending pattern with maybe 50,000 yen also, which we occassionaly top up. We maily use Citibank ATM's - 24 hrs availability. Or PO's in smaller towns (business hours only).

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ANZ cards and atms

Make sure you take an adequate backup source of funding. There are a great number of reasons why your card may not work.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ANZ cards and atms

yes, in our case, we carry 2 credit cards & 2 debit cards each.