We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips flight to Tokyo (from Atlanta)w/ less stress & /jetlag

Alabama
4 posts
Save Topic
Tips flight to Tokyo (from Atlanta)w/ less stress & /jetlag

Any Tips for making my "economy coach" flight to Tokyo (from Atlanta)w/ less stress & /jetlag. I will be working in Tokyo for 3 & 1/2 weeks and I would also greatly appreciate any tips for body & mental relaxtion that is easy on my wallet and in tune with customs of Japanese Culture( no alcohol ) . I am an Artist, & poor as most of us are, but I will be staying in the small apartment along with the Japanes Musical artist that I am producing. It is important that I can provide this information to the Artist before departing in early August of 2009, as he will be better equipped to help in these matters without placing the burden exclusively on his shoulders. Work will begin from point of landing to departure.

Thank you sincerely, for any & all help you can provide to me.

Regards,

RDallk

NJ
Level Contributor
553 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips flight to Tokyo (from Atlanta)w/ less stress & /jetlag

(No alcohol is part of Japanese culture? They love booze over there, especially beer)

When we went we started the Anti Jet Lag Diet three or four days before leaving and melatonin supplementation two or three days before leaving. You take the melatonin an hour or two before the time you would be going to bed in Japan. So for us here on the East coast of the USA I was taking it around 9 to 10 AM. It made me pretty goofy for a little while while at work but people knew what I was doing and I shook it off by lunch time. Check out this link for a bunch of ideas.

http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-overcome-jet-lag

We stayed up the entire night before our flight and as soon as we got on the plane with our morning flight we took some Ambien and passed out for about 8 hours. We woke up on the plane a little bit before morning on Tokyo time, went to the bathroom, got changed, brushed our teeth, washed our faces, and stayed awake for the rest of the flight as everyone around us started to go to bed with the USA clock.

In Japan we took melatonin for the first week or so to get us to sleep and when we woke up with took NADH supplements to give our body a natural boost.

It was a lot of work and planning to do all of that, especially adjusting our diets for the jet lag diet thing, but once in Japan we experienced almost no jet lag at all and besides waking up early the first day, which was fine by us as we went to the fishmarket at dawn that day, we had no slow down at all for the two weeks we were there.

Coming home was a different story, though. We did none of what we did going on our return trip and it took us a week and a half to adjust, but that's fine as coming home only meant being tired at work, not being tired on a trip.

About what others have said about waking up in the middle of the night, it will happen, pretty much happens to everyone. For that we would take half a dose of melatonin and lay back in bed. It's natural and softer on your body than sleeping pills and things like Nyquil and you wont wake up in a post drug haze. That only happened the first couple of days and by the middle of the first week we were sleeping until breakfast.

Alabama
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips flight to Tokyo (from Atlanta)w/ less stress & /jetlag

Thank you indeed. I truly appreciate the depth and scope of your 'plan in advance'. Just realized that the reference to alcohol was ackwardly placed. lol I meant that for medical reasons, alcohol is not a part of my regiment. I hope that will not be taken as an offense by anyone during my month long trip, for me to say "Thank you, but I cannot accept." Having said that, i am wondering if there is a proper way for me to graciously decline the offers. I will be working in studios with musicians as well as attending live performances. This is no problem in the US but it has recently occured to me that I am unfamiliar with with aspect of etiquette.

Thank you again for your timely response, and it sounds like a good Plan.

Cheers.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips flight to Tokyo (from Atlanta)w/ less stress & /jetlag

You might want to do some reading about Japanese etiquette. Sharing a small apartment could be a challenge, and you will want to communicate in a way that is comfortable and polite according to Japanese expectations. I have been warned that, if you're offered something, it's considered abrupt and a bit rude to say you don't like it, and that it's considered more polite in Japan to say you like it a little, and that will communicate that you don't want any. Can you say that your doctor doesn't want you to drink? Much communication in Japan is indirect.

Alabama
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips flight to Tokyo (from Atlanta)w/ less stress & /jetlag

Yes. I can say that. The artist I will be working with and staying with is aware of my medical condition. So, yes, it is a matter of communicating the exact point of my treatment.

And thank you very much for responding to my inquires; the dates for the sessions were pushed up a bit unexpectedly and thus we have had no time to discuss anything other than work, and the logistics of our work. Our relationship has been built with mutual respect for some time and it is well founded regarding our approaches to life and work, yet this is the first time we will actually meet and it is my first time to visit Japan.

Your answer is shedding much light the very points that I am 'suddenly' regarding as necessary to examine and respond to in a proper manner of etiquette.

Thank you again for sharing your time in helping two people from different cultures, come together and hopefully create a bit of art.

Regards,

RD

Japan
Level Contributor
661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips flight to Tokyo (from Atlanta)w/ less stress & /jetlag

Declining alcohol is not a problem. Just say you can't drink. Usually people who don't drink just order tea or juice at meals. If someone pushes the alcohol then you can say you have an allergy. There are lots of Japanese that don't drink and it is now more socially acceptable to decline.

Alabama
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips flight to Tokyo (from Atlanta)w/ less stress & /jetlag

Thank you. Well said. I got ya.

cheers,

rd

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips flight to Tokyo (from Atlanta)w/ less stress & /jetlag

Jet lag---I always find it not much of a problem going from the US to Japan, but I do have a difficult time coming back to the US. As with most meds, everyone's body reacts a bit differently, and I did not do well with melatonin and/or ambien. The common sense kinds of things have always worked OK for me; drinking plenty of water and getting outside once I arrive so my body knows what time it is suppose to be, then I try to spend a lot of time outdoors the first day, too. I force myself to wake up at a reasonable morning time, and go to bed at a reasonable time, and in about a day my body figures out where I am.

If you are offered alcohol, it is completely acceptable to turn it down, and saying you are allergic to it is a very good way to do so.

If you are offered something and really don't want it, it is OK to decline the offer. However, please know that the other person may continue to offer it (maybe 3 times) and it is OK for you to continue to decline, and you might apologize for the inconvenience. If it's food you want to decline, you can also say that it is unfamiliar to you, that you are just learning to eat Japanese food. Most people are very understanding of that.

If you admire something profusely in your host's home, it may be offered to you, so keep your compliments general in nature so as to avoid that uncomfortable situation.

Your host is probably going to worry that you are comfortable, so focus on putting your host at ease and it will work out that you will also be comfortable. Observe those around you for the subtle etiquette kinds of things, just be polite, and when all else fails, apologize profusely and laugh at yourself!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips flight to Tokyo (from Atlanta)w/ less stress & /jetlag

You'll have to report back on that ATL - NRT flight for us. We were thinking about taking that one, but opted to fly out of Birmingham, AL to Seattle, on to Tokyo. It saved us a lot of money, but it was a long trip. Next time we may do the direct flight.

Stay up real late the night before you leave. Try to sleep on the plane. This was hard for me. I even took Ambien (flying is strange, I do things I'd normally never do in my daily life), and it didn't put me to sleep, just made me feel loopy. I guess I was too excited to go on our trip.

The jetlag for me going to Japan was bad. It took me about 4 days to 'adjust'.

9. Re: Tips flight to Tokyo (from Atlanta)w/ less stress & /jetlag

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2010, 12:20