We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo for 2 days!!!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
323 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Tokyo for 2 days!!!

As mentioned in post "what is JAL like" we have the opportunity to have 2? nights in Tokyo on the way back from US. Any suggestions on what to do - must see etc. Are there companies that run day or to day trips with general site seeing? Mum and 20yo daughter. On a budget. Interested in nature and people, not so much into art etc.

Visit would be in mid July. Any advise would be great but - Less expensive hotels, Transfers around, Fast train, etc.

As you can see we know little and haven't started the research. we just have to let the agent know very soon so was looking for a few ideas.

Thanks

Raina

Australia.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,130 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tokyo for 2 days!!!

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html and http://metropolis.co.jp/vg/index.html are good sites to do some research.

Two days will give you a brief taste of Tokyo. It will be hot during your visit.

Assuming that you're arriving at Narita, this is a good value - http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/

Please use the search function in this forum for Budget Hotel. Others have posted similar questions.

Sightseeing company - jtb-sunrisetours.jp/JTB.SunriseTours/…

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tokyo for 2 days!!!

well here's a bit of what i did, and if you research the subways quick you can do it easily.

Day 1 early Tsukiji fish market, walk to imperial palace from here, check out all sights around the palace, walk to Ginza, have a nice coffee and brunch dessert then check out some shopping, Ginza theater here too (forgot the name), if you wanted to see a play, looked very sold out, you probably need to book in advance. From here take the train to the Shinjuku hama ryku garden, take the sumida river cruise to ASakusa, and see what old Tokyo looked like, cruise is only like 500 yen, cheap. now for night life head to Shinjuku for a wine and dinner and observe the craziness (i dunno can 20 year olds drink there?

Day 2

2 options, one go the museum route, ueno - tokyo national museum, then off to harajuku for a walking tour (i did one out of lonely planet, it was EXCELLENT), spend the night in shibuya, emerse yourself in tokyo culture by going to one of the kareoke places, i thought it was a kareoke bar, language barrier, i ended up by myself in a booth singing, but it was fun.

option 2: odaiba-this was maybe the best part of my trip, head to the onsen in odaiba, go to the public baths (you'tre naked, so this might not be an option if you are uncomfortable) and enjoy steaming mineral waters pumped from below, get a foot massage (which you'll need from the walking day before), and then have a traditional Japanese lunch or dinner there, from that point walk along Tokyo bay and enjoy the shopping at Odaiba, the fuji center, and the museum of emerging science.

and above all: have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Tsukiji Fish Market
Tsukiji Fish Market
282 Reviews
Chuo, Japan
Ginza
Ginza
3,971 Reviews
Chuo, Japan
Asakusa
Asakusa
5,169 Reviews
Taito, Japan
Odaiba
Odaiba
3,301 Reviews
Minato, Japan
Shinjuku
Shinjuku
Tokyo, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tokyo for 2 days!!!

oh yeah Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku Hotel, perfect hotel, cheap central, clean, and awesome!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku
Hotel Sunroute Plaza...
5,104 Reviews
Shibuya, Japan
Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,805 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tokyo for 2 days!!!

You could visit Mt Fuji travelling by a (JR) Shinkansen (bullet train), see:

jtb-sunrisetours.jp/JTB.SunriseTours/…

or by the (Odakyu) Romance Car:

http://www.odakyu.jp/english/rc/index.html

The Sunroute Plaza is well located and a very popular choice (just avoid the economy room - small).

Mentioned in this post
Fuji
Fuji
Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tokyo for 2 days!!!

Hi, I'm an Aussie too and spent a week in Tokyo last year during the summer. It was awesome and really easy to get around. Everything you'll need is in the Lonely Planet.

I'd use the trains and get around yourself - very cheap and most signs can be found in English (I did learn the Symbol for Tokyo station and needed it once or twice when found myself stuck in more remote areas).

Bravehearts suggestions are perfect. Make sure you get to Harajuku - awesome. And make sure you learn please, thank you etc as it really helps.

You'll have a great time. It's so clean and the food and people are awesome!

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
The Tokyo Station Hotel
The Tokyo Station Hotel
1,299 Reviews
Chiyoda, Japan
Tokyo
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tokyo for 2 days!!!

www.ezchoicehotels.com

5 min from Hamamatsutyo Station (Yamanote line)

6000 yen

Tokyo
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tokyo for 2 days!!!

Tokyo own day tours by bus

http://www.jgl.co.jp/inbound/index.htm (English)

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,369 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tokyo for 2 days!!!

The last couple of times we have been to Tokyo we have used the walking tours from Frommers online guide book at frommers.com/destinations/…0085010008.html

These self-guided trips are well written, easy to follow and interesting.

Many of the suggestions are above are excellent but even though I worked in Tokyo for 4 years, I still found the walking tours from Frommers to be very helpful in planning our days there.

Hope you enjoy your trip. The food is always outstanding and the people are welcoming.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,805 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tokyo for 2 days!!!

what time do you arrive, you may feel a bit jet lagged.

10. Re: Tokyo for 2 days!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2010, 05:17