We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bento box

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
690 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Bento box

I was wondering if it would be at all possible to buy a bento box as a souvenir to take home (without food in it) from somewhere. I like to collect traditional things from the country that I visit. Any other suggestions as to what I could buy?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
452 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bento box

Sure! Actually, you can even buy the plastic food samples they put in the window (including a bento box), but those are really expensive.

Finding a bento box (empty) won't be too difficult in Tokyo, you should try Tokyu Hands (chain store).

On my first trip, I found great souvenirs at the 100 yen store (everything is $1), I bought miso bowls (some with lids), chopsticks, a mp of the world (with Japan at the center), and those dishes that hold sysace for your sushi. All for a dollar a piece, it was great. There's a Daiso 100 yen store across from Harajuku station (on the Yamanote line) at Takeshita Dori. Here's a little more information on my website.

letsgototokyo/letsgototokyo/…Takeshita

Edited: 25 January 2010, 16:40
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
452 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bento box

oops! Here's a better link:

…tripod.com/letsgototokyo/id15.html#Takeshita

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bento box

Brilliant. Thank you for your reply.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,088 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bento box

You should walk around the Kitchenware street... it's SO much fun, and amazing. My kids LOVED spending the whole afternoon there.... but remind you, the things there (for restaurants)... look SO real, but are more expensive than buying the real food!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,868 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bento box

expensive,mostly lacquer boxes: any department stores

everyday (often plastic) boxes: kitchen street http://fxcuisine.com/Default.asp?Display=33

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
259 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bento box

One of my favorite possessions is my Mister Donut bento box, acquired by racking up points from eating donuts!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bento box

Thank you all for your replies. Where about is kitchen street? I've not come across that anywhere yet.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,088 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bento box

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3020.html

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bento box

Thank you for that Katetam

10. Re: Bento box

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2010, 05:18