We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What district is the best to stay in Tokyo

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What district is the best to stay in Tokyo

Hello, I am trying to see what district that other travvelers may reccomend to stay in when my wife and I go to Tokyou in July. We wish to be central but not pay the earth for a hotel room. Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated!

Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,313 Reviews
from US$141.10*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
947 Reviews
from US$65.60*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
122 Reviews
from US$54.60*
tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What district is the best to stay in Tokyo

There are many districts to Tokyo, a good location would be Shinjuku, it has a good mix of business hotels and high end hotels of all prices and sizes.

irvine, ca
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What district is the best to stay in Tokyo

Shinjuku is good because it connects to all the JR/subway lines.

In general, I perfer staying at hotels close to one of the stations on the Yamanote Line, just because it saves me a lot of time transferring between the trains.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money on hotels, I suggest looking into Toyoko Inn. They're all very big chain in Japan with clearn roon, reasonable price and best of all, easy to book online in english (http://www.toyoko-inn.com/eng/). The downside is that the rooms are very very small, definitely a shocker for most Americans.

Billerica, MA
Level Contributor
170 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What district is the best to stay in Tokyo

I am one of those who thinks that Shinjuku is exactly not the place to stay. Yeah, it's got lots and lots and lots of hotels -- but who goes to Tokyo to look at lots of hotels? I prefer staying in the northeast part of the city -- Ueno or Asakusa -- where you get better value for your money, where you can walk to many attractions, where you've got faster access to Narita, and where you'll probably spend less time on the subway/train getting to places you want to visit.

Boston
Level Contributor
130 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What district is the best to stay in Tokyo

Shinjuku, Shibuya or Ginza are good options and have the best hotels + most going on!

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,880 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What district is the best to stay in Tokyo

I loved staying in Asakusa. It is a district on a human scale and feels like a proper neighbourhood.

Being able to walk to the Sensoji Temple before the crowds decended was great.

hong kong
Level Contributor
265 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What district is the best to stay in Tokyo

depends on your interests.

shinjuku has lots of shopping, dining, and subway lines. but you pay around the same price for smaller and older hotels for the location (say 10000yen for double room under 20sqm in small business hotel quite a few minutes walk from the station whereas 12000yen will buy you a nice bay view room 35sqm in nikko hotel in odaiba or yokohama intercontinental on the low days; these bigger hotels are right at the monorail station and less than 30min subway ride from tokyo) if you want to sacrifice time for nicer rooms, then you can choose these areas, otherwise, shinjuku is a good area for first timers to stay at.

if you like clubbing, you can choose roppongi. as subway doesn't run all night, you will save a lot of taxi fare when you hang out at night. there are a couple of hotels with small rooms (ibis for one) for around 11-12000yen. of course, if your budget allows it, there are plenty of 5 star hotels in the city. choosing a hotel that is attached to subway or under 5 min walking from station is recommended coz there's plenty of walking to do in tokyo.

7. Re: What district is the best to stay in Tokyo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2010, 05:18