We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$700+ USD per night-pls. tell me I can do better?!?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
904 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
$700+ USD per night-pls. tell me I can do better?!?

Our family of 5 will be visiting Tokyo for the first time. I have been using TripAdvisor to try to find a centrally located hotel. The best I have come-up with so far is 2 rooms at the Marriott Courtyard for over $700 USD per night. I have always heard that Tokyo hotels are expensive, but I am hoping that there are other options. Can anyone give any suggestions for hotels I might try?

Likely To Sell Out
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
3,988 reviews
from US$157.00*
Mt. Fuji Day Trip Including Lake Ashi...
898 reviews
from US$129.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
862 reviews
from US$66.50*
3-Day Mt Fuji, Kyoto and Nara Rail...
133 reviews
from US$586.30*
Camas, Washington
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: $700+ USD per night-pls. tell me I can do better?!?

we stayed at the best western in shinjuku and loved it. the 4 of us (2 adults 2 children) shared a twin room which had 2 full size beds. reasonable price, includes breakfast. walking distance to JR shinjuku station, also lots of restaurants around the hotel. there's a lawson convenience store next door too.

we also considered the citadines in shinjuku but it had no availability for our dates.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,182 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: $700+ USD per night-pls. tell me I can do better?!?

Tokyo hotels aren't necessarily that expensive. If you stay at Western-branded chains, then they do cost a bit more money at times.

A few recommendations:

Shinjuku: Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku (15,000 to 20,000 Yen per night on average), Century Southern Tower (a bit nicer with slightly larger rooms, 18,000 to 25,000). Both of these hotels are centrally located and just 3 minutes from JR Shinjuku train station and various subway lines.

Keio Plaza (20,000 to 35,000 depending on room type) is 7 to 8 minutes from the station and it's a very popular choice, too.

Hyatt Regency and Hilton are also at Shinjuku but about 10 minutes from the west exit of the train station. Both should be in the range of 20,000 to 30,000 Yen.

Shibuya: Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu (18,000 to 25,000), Cerulean Tower (25,000 to 35,000, the nicest of the bunch). Both hotels are near Shibuya station.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
50,411 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: $700+ USD per night-pls. tell me I can do better?!?

Try - http://travel.rakuten.co.jp/en/

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,648 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: $700+ USD per night-pls. tell me I can do better?!?

How much of a premium are you willing to pay to be in the most central location?

Any of the Toyoko Inns will be cheaper; the locations along the Japan Rail Yamanote Line are a simple trip to the places you'll want to see. Their Ikebukuro locations are near a major train station and near lots of shopping. Rates include breakfast.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,182 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: $700+ USD per night-pls. tell me I can do better?!?

Of course, it depends on the type of properties you want to stay. Toyoko Inns have very small, basic and clean rooms that can't be compared to a Courtyard.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
378 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: $700+ USD per night-pls. tell me I can do better?!?

We were at the New Otani for lunch and noticed they had a special, double with breakfast for 23,000 plus tax. It is a big hotel but very central and the garden is stunning. I think you have to go to their website. Anyway, it is an old style hotel which is popular with oldtime visitors. Service is always impeccable

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: $700+ USD per night-pls. tell me I can do better?!?

I just got back from 12 nights in Japan and never paid more than $150/night. Most closer to $125 (Hotel Monterey Kyoto, Spa Hotel Alpina Takayama & Grand Prince Takanawa in Tokyo.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,688 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: $700+ USD per night-pls. tell me I can do better?!?

Suggest you check some other websites.

Rakuten Travel has plenty of choices in Tokyo Just google those 2 words.

If you want to stay at a less fancy hotel than Mariott Courtyard, Toyoko Inns, Comfort Inn chains come to mind. There are plenty of choices in Tokyo for less than $350 per night per room

Edited: 07 April 2010, 13:46
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,105 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: $700+ USD per night-pls. tell me I can do better?!?

That is WAY too expensive.

Look into the Tokyu hotels (group) ..... they have many choices, and their hotels are basic, clean, and always affordable.

conroe tx
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: $700+ USD per night-pls. tell me I can do better?!?

just booked a 12 day trip to tokyo staying at chisun hotel ueno for $56.00 on expedia i am just a solo traveler and this not really central tokyo but within walking distance of the metro they should have larger rooms for more people