We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in Tokyo money no object

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
10 days in Tokyo money no object

As my trip to Tokyo gets closer (December 19th through the 30th, 2010) I am becoming less sure about my itinerary. I am feeling overwhelmed with the amount of choices and the more I research, the more I question my choices.

For example, I have planned for some time now to stay the entire 10 nights at The Mandarin Oriental and then I read that if given a choice most would choose the Peninsula due to it's convenient location.

I have a few "must do's" I have come up with, ie: Ginza on our first night as it is a Sunday and we want to see the holiday lights and street festival. I also must see Harijuku and Kabuki Theater at Kabuki Za. I want to shop at Wako Department store and will be getting tickets to the Ghilbi Museum.

Other than those special things, I am feeling a bit crazed by all of the chioces and am hoping for suggestions for 10 days in Tokyo.

Fortunately, money is no issue so any and all things are possible. I would like to enjoy a mix of both traditional and new Japanese experiences but not quite sure how to incorporate or orchestrate that. A friend suggested I do not miss the opportunity to stay in a Ryokan but I thought it easier to base myself from one central location and go from there.

I will appreciate all suggestions and thank you.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,590 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days in Tokyo money no object

A couple of sites to research:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html

http://metropolis.co.jp/

With 10 days, one or more side trips to another city is a good option. Consider Nikko, Kamakura, and Hakone.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days in Tokyo money no object

Kabuki Theater at Kabuki Za is no longer open.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days in Tokyo money no object

While I appreciate the suggestion to view the travel links listed, I HAVE gone over and over these and so many other sites.

My issue may be that I have done "too much" research, if anything, and am overwhelmed by all the possibilities.

I was hoping for some more spicific advice.

Thank you for your help so far.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,725 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days in Tokyo money no object

Unfortunately, there is no way we can plan a complete itinerary for you. Even for myself, the best-laid plans change by the minute as I travel. You might find one place very interesting while another really uninteresting. Your schedule has to remain flexible. Also, what you enjoy is different than the rest of us. Many like to go to Tsukiji Fish Market but others have absolutely no interest.

In general, you should decide on the sights you want to see, decide approximately how much time you need, and group them together based on transport efficiency. For example, Shinjuku, Shibuya and Harajuku usually make a good day while Tsukiji can be grouped with Ginza, but you'd need to put Odaiba or Akihabara in between since there is nothing to do at Ginza early in the morning. The possibilities are endless.

Camas, Washington
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days in Tokyo money no object

i know how you feel, it's called information overload! but i agree, not knowing your interests and what you consider must-dos makes it hard for people to give you recommendations. here's a good website that highlights the main attractions in tokyo: http://www.letsgototokyo.com/

and here's a thought: with 10 days to spend, i would consider visiting kyoto for ~3 days, if you are interested in japanese traditions, history, and culture. kyoto is a beautiful city with a lot of heritage and charm. it takes about 3 hrs on the shinkansen from tokyo. if you decide to do that, book hotels early.

if still no luck, post a list of sites/things that interest you, someone can help you organize them into an itinerary.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days in Tokyo money no object

Thanks so much for your efforts to help. I will put together a more detailed post of what I have in mind and then it will be easier for you all to more easily help me.

I had begun to get nervous and frustrated an question my entire plan to date but I will put it together and post it anyway.

More to come...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,125 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 days in Tokyo money no object

If money is no object then oragnise a private driver to take you out somewhere like Tokai Ukayama for a truly special trip and kaiseki meal in a unique style location.

maybe fit in a stay at Kanaya in Nikko overnight or even Fujiwara and definitely an Onsen. You don't experience japan until you do an onsen. There are a few private ones in hakone that you can day trip to.

Edited: 14 June 2010, 09:25
Orange, California
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 days in Tokyo money no object

Is this your first trip to Japan? Have you ever been to somewhere in Japan so far?

Me, too. I prefer to stay one place rather than changing hotels frequently if possible because in that way I do not have to carry my luggage around from one place to another. If it’s your first time in Japan, I think that 10 days would be ideal lengths in order to experience a various part of Tokyo without hassle. I love holiday season (especially Christmas) in Tokyo.

This is just one idea though….. but I think you might like Tokyo Hato Bus English tour. I give you the website as I copied from my other post.

“”We used this Hato Bus English tour “Panoramic Tokyo” when we went to Tokyo the very first time. It took us to Meiji shrine, Imperial Palace, Asakusa Temple, Odaiba (cruise on Tokyo Bay). It went through main popular places in Tokyo such as Ginza, Marunouch, Roppongi, and we enjoyed whole tour. The tour guide that we had were wonderful and we want to meet him again. (His name was Shima—something and he is highly recommended, in my opinion) The other tour “Dynamic Tokyo tour” looks good too. “”

www.hatobus.com/en/course/fullday_2010.html

Actually, because money is no issue for you, “Dynamic Tokyo Tour” might be best for you.

Anyway, Need more info about your interests.

Edited: 14 June 2010, 09:51
Orange, California
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 days in Tokyo money no object

Just twe more websites, This site lists popular Christmas illumination spots in 2009. (Japanese)

jalan.net/jalan/…illumi_index.html

illumi.nihon-kankou.or.jp/list/result.php…

Edited: 14 June 2010, 10:24
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 days in Tokyo money no object

I CAN NOT THANK YOU ALL ENOUGH! These were just the kinds of suggestions that I had been hopung for but not sure how to ask for!

Every time I posted I was given links with tips that contiued to overwhelm me but these "personal experience" tips are just what I was hoping for to help me find my way!

It is my first trip 1234know and I have 2 kids so I do like to base from one location. I want to see and experience as much as we can but have read so much and feel that the whole - moving around with our luggage - is not for me.

We are used to traveling in style so the hired cars and guides are a perfect suggestion Guruswife! And thank you 1234know for the wonderful tour info and sites!

Mimijj you are right, I am on information over load and change my mind with every post and trip site that I look at yet I have not been able to find the spicifics that I am looking for as in what is special in Tokyo at Christmas so again, thanks to 1234know!