We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anything to see in 2-3 days in Tokyo

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Lawrence
Level Contributor
228 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
anything to see in 2-3 days in Tokyo

We are a family with two kids (4,8) we are going to travel from the US for couple of weeks in Thailand during the end of the year (end of Dec) and considering a stop of few days in Tokyo on the way. What can we see in 2-3 days? and how much should we plan for it to cost (trying to plan budget and obviously want to keep it low)

Edited: 06 July 2010, 19:04
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,395 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: anything to see in 2-3 days in Tokyo

Plenty to see in 2-3 days. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html and http://metropolis.co.jp/vg/index.html are good sites to research.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Lawrence
Level Contributor
228 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: anything to see in 2-3 days in Tokyo

Thanks, what is a reasonble budget for family for few days?

Are there speicifc things that would fit better a family?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,395 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anything to see in 2-3 days in Tokyo

Budget ideas - http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2410.html

What "specific things" are you referring to?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anything to see in 2-3 days in Tokyo

Dave148 - those web sites are really good, thanks, I'm coming to Tokyo for 4 days in December before going to Niseko.

Very helpful.

Thanks

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Lawrence
Level Contributor
228 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anything to see in 2-3 days in Tokyo

Dave,

By specific things I meant specific attractions that would be more family friendly than others. Or if there are attractions/places that will not accept childrens.

Also I was wondering hotel wise, is having two double bed room is somthing that typical Tokyo hotel could accomodate? (maybe stupid question, but I was just wondering in light of space issues in the city)

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Lawrence
Level Contributor
228 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: anything to see in 2-3 days in Tokyo

Thanks for the budget link

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,318 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: anything to see in 2-3 days in Tokyo

>>is having two double bed room is somthing that typical Tokyo hotel could accomodate

No, not in Japan in general. Japanese style rooms are more common which you sleep on the floor with futons and can often accommodate 2+2.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: anything to see in 2-3 days in Tokyo

I have never stayed in Japanese style rooms (“Ryokan”?), so, I don’t know about Ryokan situation. My husband and I always stay at usual "hotels” while in Tokyo. So, I can comment only on hotel situation. We usually book rooms with double or twin-bed. Hotel rooms in Tokyo tend to be smaller than hotel rooms in other locations. I believe you can find a hotel room with two double beds. But such rooms can be expensive if you want to find them in popular places (Because you said you want to keep budget low.).

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
53,670 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: anything to see in 2-3 days in Tokyo

For rooms with two true double beds, they are usually the Western chains.

10. Re: anything to see in 2-3 days in Tokyo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2011, 08:44