We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dont know where to stay

MeLbourne
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Dont know where to stay

We will be arriving In Tokyo July 29 staying for 5 nights, going to Kyoto for 4 and then coming back to Tokyo for another 3 nights. I will be travelling with my husband and 2 children aged 8 and 3

I honestly dont know where to stay.

Some of the hotels I am thinking of are: Hotel Niwa, Hyatt Regency or Citadines Tokyo Shinjuku.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Kootenays, British...
Level Contributor
405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dont know where to stay

I can heartily recommend the 'APPLE HOUSE' in Kyoto. This is a guest houe in the Japanese style (tatami, futons etc.). It is in a quiet neighbourhood yet very handy to the tourist sites and comes with two bikes to get around with. It will give you a completely different impression of Kyoto than you'll get staying in a big hotel - especially in a western style room. If you can't find the apple house PM me and I'll get the link for you.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,590 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dont know where to stay

You might want to consider Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku - http://www.sunroute.jp/HotelInfoSVE

It's a 2-3 minute walk from the Shinjuku train station. With kids, having your hotel close to a train station is very convenient.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,725 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dont know where to stay

Posting a budget you have in mind will get you better recommendations.

MeLbourne
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dont know where to stay

Thank you for your suggestions - the Sunroute plaza is full unfortunately. My budget is up to 30,000 yen. I have sent an email asking if there is room by any chance!

I have already booked accomodation for Kyoto (that was easy!)

We will be in Tokyo from July 28 until August 2, Kyoto August 2 -7 and then Tokyo from August 7 to August 10 and then we fly home on the 10!

Thank you so much!

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dont know where to stay

HI we got back from Tokyo yesterday (in Sydney again...) we stayed at a one bedroom aprtment in Nishi-Ogibuko which we booked through www.liveinasia.com . It was way cheaper than a hotel room and has the added bonus of having cooking and laundry facilities. The room is air conditioned (really needed that) has one big bed and a fold out one for the kids, we put a 16 and 17 year old on the fold out and it was no problem. The apt is not huge, but then thats Japan for you!! We arrived late and were so happy to see the rep Mr Makoto waiting for us as we exited Nishi-Ogibuko station and he walked us to the aprtment pointing out useful places nearby. Getting there from the airport was really easy - once you know how! We used the train to go everywhere like the rest of Tokyo and only got on the wrong train once. We bought a Suica travel card at the Airport train station and it took us everywhere; all we had to do was top up the card when it was low. The station is less than 5 minutes from the apt andit was about 50 mins to Disney resort, 30 from Tokyo. Getting enywhare is easy! Though we sure did some walking as well!! We used the supermarket next door heaps and was able to do plenty of meals in the apartment which of course saves heaps of yen! If you want more info feel free to contact me directly at flippypooh @ hotmail or not (I'm not soliciting!!)

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dont know where to stay

HI we got back from Tokyo yesterday (in Sydney again...) we stayed at a one bedroom aprtment in Nishi-Ogibuko which we booked through www.liveinasia.com . It was way cheaper than a hotel room and has the added bonus of having cooking and laundry facilities. The room is air conditioned (really needed that) has one big bed and a fold out one for the kids, we put a 16 and 17 year old on the fold out and it was no problem. The apt is not huge, but then thats Japan for you!! We arrived late and were so happy to see the rep Mr Makoto waiting for us as we exited Nishi-Ogibuko station and he walked us to the aprtment pointing out useful places nearby. Getting there from the airport was really easy - once you know how! We used the train to go everywhere like the rest of Tokyo and only got on the wrong train once. We bought a Suica travel card at the Airport train station and it took us everywhere; all we had to do was top up the card when it was low. The station is less than 5 minutes from the apt andit was about 50 mins to Disney resort, 30 from Tokyo. Getting enywhare is easy! Though we sure did some walking as well!! We used the supermarket next door heaps and was able to do plenty of meals in the apartment which of course saves heaps of yen! If you want more info feel free to contact me directly at flippypooh @ hotmail or not (I'm not soliciting!!)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dont know where to stay

You might consider Hotel Century Southern Tower. It's nearly right on top of Shinjuku Station so it's close to the JR and Tokyo Metro and a few other lines as well. The view is quite good as the hotel starts on floor 20. It's rated #2 on Tripadvisor for the Shibuya/Shinjuku area. I stayed there quite recently and enjoyed it. There are plenty of shopping places and restaurants nearby.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Lawrence
Level Contributor
226 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dont know where to stay

Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku hotel doesn't accomodate for families as all rooms can accomodate only two people.

MeLbourne
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dont know where to stay

Thanks for your suggestions - however Hotel Century Southern Tower is full!

I am still open to suggestions! I am thinking either Hotel Niwa, Citadines or Hyatt Regency - any recommendations would be greatly welcomed!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,725 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dont know where to stay

Try Cerulean Tower at Shibuya. It's pricier than both Sunroute Plaza and Century Southern Tower, but the hotel is excellent.

Another choice is Keio Plaza at Shinjuku. They have a variety of rooms and the location is a bit better than the other Shinjuku west side hotels (Hyatt Regency, Hilton, etc).