We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo Heatwave: suggestions for how to beat the heat?

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Tokyo Heatwave: suggestions for how to beat the heat?

Hi,

I'm in Tokyo right now until Sunday the 22nd with my wife.

We're melting. It's hot. Really hot. Crazy hot.

Any good suggestions for how to spend the day while beating the heat? Obviously, hanging out in malls has worked but even in the shade the parks are too hot for us Canadians.

We're on vacation, so we'd like something fun and relaxing: any pools with swim-up-bars? beach day-trips? Spas/baths (for couples and probably something cool, not hot).

We're in the shinjuku district, near the JR station - the closer to that, the better.

Thanks!

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tokyo Heatwave: suggestions for how to beat the heat?

There are some decent beaches within 1-1,5 hrs train ride from Shinjuku.

The most easily accessed (and therefore crowded) are south of the city (around the Miura peninsula; such as Chigasaki, Zushi, Enoshima).

Boso hanto is another option. Cleaner and less crowded, but more expensive to get to. I like Onjuku, ~85 min from Tokyo station with the limited express (Wakashio).

There are big water theme parks such as Tokyo summerland (http://www.summerland.co.jp/english/), usually located out in the suburbs.

If you just feel like a quick dip to cool down, and don't ask for any spectacular water slides, there are public pools a bit closer to the city. Be warned that the facilities on those are very basic. It's very cheap though. One I visited this summer was Edogawa pool garden (http://www.sunnypages.jp/travel_guide/home_family/water_parks_pools/Edogawa+Pool+Garden/3445/top).

Unlike other places, tattoos are definitely not prohibited at this place, since a substantial percentage of the clientele were covered in them :)

Another way to escape the heat is to visit the mountains surrounding Tokyo. Mount Mitake is very nice and can easily be done as a day trip from Shinjuku.

Edited: 16 August 2010, 12:17
Yokohama
Level Contributor
849 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tokyo Heatwave: suggestions for how to beat the heat?

You are unlucky, Tokyo is HOTTEST this week.

Laqua SPA, at Suido-bashi, 15min. by train from Shinjuku.

http://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp/e/laqua/

Hotel east21's garden pool is good choice, 5250Yen/person.

www.hotel-east21.co.jp/english/index.html

http://www.hotel-east21.co.jp/gardenpool/

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tokyo Heatwave: suggestions for how to beat the heat?

I agree, Shinjuku is a sauna/furnace this week. Its unbearable.

There is always Toshimaen, if you like crowds. tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1066453-d…

Or you can do what the locals do:

Go to Izu

Go to Karuizawa

Go to Hawaii

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
825 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tokyo Heatwave: suggestions for how to beat the heat?

Yamanote is on the money. Get out.

More seriously, if you do have the chance to get out of Tokyo, do so. I suggest Karuizawa, as the traditional summer resort of the well-to-do Westerners in the Victorian period.

Beaches and pools at this time of year, and this year especially, will make sardines feel lonely and isolated. Pools especially.

Toronto
Level Contributor
686 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tokyo Heatwave: suggestions for how to beat the heat?

do you recommend taking a taxi from the metro station to the attractions instead of walking to preserve energy?

thanks.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tokyo Heatwave: suggestions for how to beat the heat?

Stay hydrated and try to enjoy yourselves. You can't change the weather and it is extremely miserable. My wife just came back yesterday. She was mentioning how cold it is in California now, while everyone is walking around in t-shirts.

North of England
Level Contributor
145 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tokyo Heatwave: suggestions for how to beat the heat?

Oh! Oh! Oh! My husband and I will be arriving on Sunday 22nd!!

Do you know if there is any possibility that we might see Mount Fuji in that heat if we travel to Hakone?

Thank you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tokyo Heatwave: suggestions for how to beat the heat?

Highly unlikely you will see Mount Fuji from Hakone in August.

Edited: 16 August 2010, 20:31
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tokyo Heatwave: suggestions for how to beat the heat?

Have you been to all the museums? The Tokyo National Museum and the Edo-Tokyo Museum are worthwhile and air-conditioned!

Orange, California
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tokyo Heatwave: suggestions for how to beat the heat?

If you are not on a budget, you can try a Hato Bus English Full Day Tokyo Tour. You can sit and relax in the bus and they will take you to some of the popular tourist places in Tokyo. At some of the places in the tour, you will get out of the bus and walk around.

There are some museums and attractions inside buildings in Odaiba, too.

Japan in August is hot and humid, that is why we don’t’ go there in August.