We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a long wait for a seat on the NEx?

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a long wait for a seat on the NEx?

Hi, I read a forum post from 2008 which said that all seats on the NEx were reserved well in advance and there was a 3 hour wait to get on a train.

Does anyone know if this has been an issue lately? I'll be arriving on a flight scheduled to land at 7:40am and will hopefully be ready to board a NEx to Shinjuku around 9am - probably a busy time.

Thanks

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,457 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a long wait for a seat on the NEx?

I have personally never seen NEX full, and I have certainly not seen a long wait for it other than the scheduled services. I think chances of you having to wait 3 hours are slim to none. You don't want to or need to reserve way in advance anyway since you never know when your plane lands and how long it takes to get through immigration and customs.

In the morning, NEX should not be as crowded as in the late afternoon.

Australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a long wait for a seat on the NEx?

Thanks Sammyfloyd

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,200 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a long wait for a seat on the NEx?

The first time I used the limousine bus it was because I would have had to wait two hours for a seat on the Narita Express. Quite a few years ago, when travelling to the airport, all seats were booked for a period of about five hours. There is a local train running on the same route and not a great deal slower which costs half the price.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,469 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a long wait for a seat on the NEx?

Agree that seats can be booked solid going to the airport but not coming from the airport--various reasons for that, but that is part of the reason that JR East sells the Suica package--to soak up excess capacity heading into Tokyo.

To the original poster--no reason why 9am would be a busy time--people don't use the NEX as a commuter train into Tokyo so its not like it gets busy during "rush hour". The busiest time at Narita for planes landing is around 14:00-16:00, and even then I have never waited for a NEX train.

You can also go on a regular train or the Kesei Skyliner.

keisei.co.jp/keisei/…index.html

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,457 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a long wait for a seat on the NEx?

As MapleG said, inbound to Tokyo shouldn't be full. For the outbound back to NRT, reserving a day in advance is good practice anyway so you won't have to mess with getting a ticket or your reservation in the very last minute.

Australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a long wait for a seat on the NEx?

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll catch the NEX to Shinjuku. I'm going from Tokyo to Kanazawa and eventually leaving Japan from Kansai airport, so no need for me to make arrangements for the NEX trip back.

London
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a long wait for a seat on the NEx?

we arrived in Tokyo yesterday. bought our NEX & suica passes at 10:10, got on the 10:15 train to shinjuku. The people in the ticket office (downstairs if in T1) know what they're doing, it's very easy! Hopefully it will be as smooth on the way back!

8. Re: Is there a long wait for a seat on the NEx?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2011, 05:18