We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Shinjuku?

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
564 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay in Shinjuku?

I'm going to be traveling to Tokyo for 4 nights in November and would like to stay in the Shinjuku area. I'm hoping to find a hotel with a private bathroom for around 100-140 USD. Is this possible? Tokyo seems so expensive. How much would an average beer cost in USD in a bar? Any tips on how to live comfortably in Tokyo without spending a ton of money? Thanks in advance.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,475 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Shinjuku?

Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku should work for you. http://www.sunroute.jp/HotelInfoSVE

Dining/drinking information - http://www.bento.com/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,330 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Shinjuku?

Easiest way to save money drinking? Don't go to a bar. Hotels have vending machines selling beer, and it is available at any convenience store. Beer from vending machine or convenience store -- maybe Y140-240, at a bar Y500-800 or higher.

PS-in my mind Tokyo, for most things , prices are not really a lot different than any major US city.

Edited: 11 September 2010, 21:24
uk
Level Contributor
99 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Shinjuku?

ive just come back from tokyo,and stayed at the hotel lonestar in shinjuku.the rooms were very clean,and there was a free breakfast of juice,coffee,bread.in the morning..any more info you need just ask.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,766 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Shinjuku?

Tokyo is not particularly expensive except transport. Allow 1,000 Yen per day for trains and subways. Avoid taking taxis.

Food and drinks aren't excessively expensive at all.

Sunroute Plaza is a good hotel with a great location and it's often recommended.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,498 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Shinjuku?

>> stayed at the hotel lonestar in shinjuku.

This hotel is located in the middle of Shinjuku 2-Chome. Though you may or may not notice anything walking around.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinjuku_Ni-ch%C5%8Dme

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Shinjuku?

I'm headed to Tokyo 9/16 and we're staying at the Sunroute Plaza. Based on my research it was the best location in Shinjuku for the price I wanted to pay. The reviews are really good on every site I checked. I think our room is about $125/night for the double. We booked on Expedia.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Shinjuku?

watch the room sizes, I think the standard twin room is larger.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,766 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Shinjuku?

Sunroute Plaza's twin room is definitely larger than the double.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Shinjuku?

I've read a lot about the twin rooms v. the double rooms. We decided on the double b/c since we're spending 10 days in Japan we're trying to keep our costs down, we view the hotel as just a place to sleep (not hanging out in there), and we're not bringing very large luggage so space shouldn't be an issue. Also, we're not very large people. I'll update if the double ends up being too cramped.

10. Re: Where to stay in Shinjuku?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2011, 06:18