We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused with which area to stay

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
637 posts
52 reviews
Confused with which area to stay

I'm a single guy, 36 from the UK. I enjoy independent travel. My trip is purely pleasure.

I'm confused with which part of Tokyo to stay in. I will be looking to see Tokyo day and night. I will be taking in a baseball game at the dome and then other nights looking to take in the nightlife. My trip is not for shopping but I will be looking to pick up a new camera whilst there. Also I will be travelling by train to Kyoto for one night. But in the main I will be travelling around Tokyo to see various sights and to also hopefully blend in to background.

I know this may sound a little vaque but some pointers on which area will help me pick an hotel.

Many thanks.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,706 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Confused with which area to stay

If you're looking for nightlife with other foreigners and their admirers, stay in Roppongi.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Confused with which area to stay

You didn't mention your hotel budget. This probably determines where to stay more than anything else. Additionally, hotel services vary greatly between the economical business hotels and the more expensive full service western-style places.

Nightlife is defintely going to be centered around Roppongi and for something a little more raunchy you can check out Kabukicho in Shinjuku. Roppongi is probably a safer choice. But you certainly don't need to stay in Roppongi.

Regarding cameras, there are three principal major retailers, Yodobashi, BIC and Sakuraya. There are many more minor retailers. You will need to sign up for a point card in order to get the rebate back. Most electronics retailers have point cards for loyalty. Additionally, the major retailers can handle the sales tax exemption. Just show your passport and be sure to have the goods with you when you clear immigration on the way out.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
637 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Confused with which area to stay

Thanks guys, both very usefull.

For hotels I tend to stay in Marriotts and Hiltons for business in the UK, but when travelling that type of hotel is not essential. I'm the type of traveller who likes to enjoy visiting the sites of any city in the day. I tend to try eat and drink at local establishments, not worldwide chains. In the evening I enjoy getting out and meeting people, but not in a seedy way and at 36 I'm not up for clubbing all night(hangovers now last approx 5 days!).

I guess my budget would be around $100 per night, though I appreciate that I may have to pay more.

My trip will include a baseball game at the dome, one night in Kyoto and if I can some Sumo. Though I realise the tournament is in May. Is there any Sumo at any level in April? The rest of the time will be visiting monuments and then trying to experience the 'real' Tokyo. I believe that best way to enjoy a new city is to try and immerse one self in to the culture.

Hope some of this makes sense

New York
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
1 review
4. Re: Confused with which area to stay

Hi CheshireUntested,

I think staying in Roppongi is a great idea for you, as previously suggested. If your budget is (US?)$100, you may want to try “Hotel Villa Fontaine Roppongi” (villa-fontaine.co.jp/eng/roppongi/index.html), offering a single room at 12,595yen/night with complementary breakfast.

If you usually stay in Marriotts/Hilton, you may want to check out Roppongi Prince Hotel (princehotelsjapan.com/RoppongiPrinceHotel/in…), offering a single room at 16,500yen/night with breakfast.

:-)

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,706 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: Confused with which area to stay

That budget requires staying at "Business Hotel" style accomodation, which is fine except rooms are a bit small, like typical independent London hotels near Paddington or Victoria stations.

Others within the budget in Roppongi include

http://www.arktower.co.jp/arcatop01new1.html 10,920

ishinhotels.com/theb-roppongi/en/index.html 11,500 free breakfast and internet hookup

http://www.ibis-hotel.com/en.html 11,650 free breakfast

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,706 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Confused with which area to stay

>> Roppongi is probably a safer choice. But you certainly don't need to stay in Roppongi.

Problem is that public transit stops running around midnight, and taxi is the only alternative (while locals stay at capsule hotels).

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Confused with which area to stay

Roppongi is a good choice. Go to asiarooms.com for some great deals

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
637 posts
52 reviews
8. Re: Confused with which area to stay

Superb guys, thank you very much for your help.

What about seeing Sumo if the tournament is on?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
637 posts
52 reviews
9. Re: Confused with which area to stay

Correction to the above.

If the Sumo Tournament IS NOT on?

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Confused with which area to stay

bibimbob:

When I said he doesn't necessarily need to stay in Roppongi, I was talking about another area close by such as Akasaka (Hotel Yoko) or somewhere within reasonable taxi distance.

In Roppongi, I would highly recommend the Ibis because it's right in the middle of the action and quite reasonable.