We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Helper

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Train Helper

We are considering spending 2-3 days in Tokoyo on our way home from Myanmar via Bangkok. The train system going into Tokoyo from Narita Airport and within the city is overwhelming us a bit. Maybe I'm overreacting. We have used the train systems in many other countries, so maybe we would be okay? I am considering taking the train to the Narita station and then using a Ryokan there as a base. There are more choices of Ryokans in Tokoyo and possibly we would get a more traditional experience there? Is it realistic to hire a youth to make a practice run into Tokoyo on the train system? Does anyone have suggestions as to what to see in only 2-3 days? We are looking for advice. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Likely To Sell Out
Mt. Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,195 Reviews
from US$147.30*
Special Offer
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
108 Reviews
from US$57.00*
US$76.00
Mt Fuji Day Trip with Lake Ashi...
946 Reviews
from US$133.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Tokyo Robot Cabaret Evening Show...
898 Reviews
from US$68.40*
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,094 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Helper

There are several options in going from Narita to Tokyo - http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2027.html - the train is most efficient. It's quite easy.

I don't understand your reference "to hire a youth to make a practice run into Tokoyo on the train system?" Please clarify.

What to see/do in Tokyo - http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html

I assume you're referring to Narita City as a base - http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6400.html and www.chiba-tour.jp/narita/sight/sight_top.html

Mentioned in this post
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,408 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Helper

The Japanese train system is considered one of the best in the world. Not 100% sure what you mean by a train helper, but Japan is not the kind of country where you just hire "youth" to act as guides or helpers...I believe in fact that is illegal.

2 main train lines run to Narita Airport , the Narita Express (NEX) or the Keisei Skyliner. (There are other ways, but let's assume here you don't want to ride local trains that stop every 5-10 minutes). You can also take a limobus to your hotel.

My suggestion-just pick a hotel in Tokyo, take either train or limobus to it and then decide what you want to see.

Mentioned in this post
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,411 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Helper

>> Is it realistic to hire a youth to make a practice run into Tokoyo on the train system?

a McJob in Tokyo pays about 10USD/hr these days. Minimum wage in OP's home state - 6.25

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Helper

Maybe you could book a volunteer guide, and tell them you want help learning the train system.

There are several volunteer guide organisations, here is one of them: http://www.tokyofreeguide.com/

Edited: 26 October 2010, 10:43
Melbourne
Level Contributor
77 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Helper

We used the Volunteer Guide service the first day we spent in Tokyo. It is a fabulous service...we were also daunted with the prospect of navigating the subway system. Our guide emailed us prior to coming over, and asked us what we wanted to see. She then put together a rough itinerary for the day. I think we spent about 5 hours with her. The only expenses you incurr are their travel costs, lunch or dinner etc, and any other incidentals [we paid for her boat ride on the river]. It is well worth it, and will help you settle in to Tokyo!

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Helper

Thank you. We are considering it. How far in advance did you have to schedule? Do you think it possible that the guide would meet us in Narita?

Mentioned in this post
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Melbourne
Level Contributor
77 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Helper

I booked our guide about 2 months in advance. We had no problem, but it was not peak time either... I would suggest booking asap.

I am not sure if they would travel to Narita. It is a long way out, and not a cheap train fair. It would also be hard to predict your exact time of arrival, clearing customs etc. I also think they are more there to show you around their city, not to guide you from the airport to your hotel.

I would suggest taking the Narita Express into Tokyo, settling into your Hotel and booking them for a period of time during the first full day you are there, that is what we did. Don't worry in Japan, the people are soooo helpful. Just be prepared, print out maps on where you need to go. If you are unsure, just ask.... most people are more than welcome to help!

Mentioned in this post
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,408 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Helper

I think you are overestimating the difficulty of trains in Japan. Using the Narita Express is about as easy as it gets. You come out of the arrivals area of Narita airport and follow the signs downstairs to the trains. Should you buy the NEX/Suica ticket (recommended) you buy it at the JR East travel centre which you cannot miss as you head down to the train area. With your ticket they give you a specific seat and carriage to sit in since all seats are reserved.

Honestly, if you can get to an airport and figure out how to get on a plane, then you can easily figure out how to get on a train from Narita to Tokyo.

It is a very simple system.

Mentioned in this post
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Helper

Thank you for your candid advice and vote of confidence and we are rethinking it.

10. Re: Train Helper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2011, 05:18