We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to Do with 9 hour Tokyo Airport Layover

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
99 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Things to Do with 9 hour Tokyo Airport Layover

I'm wondering if it's possible to get out of the airport and see a little piece of Tokyo with a 9 hour layover.

Any suggestions on things to do would be welcome.

Thanks so much!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,709 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to Do with 9 hour Tokyo Airport Layover

Yes, you'll have time - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298184-i861-k2286…

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
784 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to Do with 9 hour Tokyo Airport Layover

it takes about 1hr to go from airport to ueno station which is downtown tokyo. there's shopping there, and a park.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,325 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to Do with 9 hour Tokyo Airport Layover

A few things to consider, assuming you are landing at Narita Airport, not Haneda Airport:

1. Is the actual time between flights 9 hours total?

2. When in the day do you arrive exactly?

3. If it's a day time layover and you are arriving from the US, your flight is likely to be landing in the afternoon, which is the rush hour for immigration. You need to allow 30 minutes in line on average.

4. Are you checked through from your point-of-origin to your eventual destination so you don't have to claim luggage, go through customs and check-in again at Narita?

5. Ueno is one hour from Narita; other interesting parts of central Tokyo (Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ginza, etc, but not the actual Tokyo station) are about 80 minutes away and also coming back. Remember you have to be back at the airport with about 75 minutes to go to clear immigration outbound and get to your gate.

All said and done, you will have about 4 to 5 hours max in Tokyo proper if you opt to go to the city. Alternatively, you could take it easy and take the very short train ride to nearby Narita City where you can do some shopping, get some real Japanese food and just wander around.

Train fares and schedules:

http://www.hyperdia.com

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to Do with 9 hour Tokyo Airport Layover

DO IT! I'd say give 2 hours, all of the above are good suggestions, you can also go to shinjuku station, which is direct from the airport, check out shinjuku, free trip to the top of the government building, check the bars in urination alley, shop, and enjoy the sensory overload.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to Do with 9 hour Tokyo Airport Layover

+1 for the Meiji Shrine in Harajuku.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
99 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to Do with 9 hour Tokyo Airport Layover

Thank you everyone for your very helpful advice.

To answer Sammyfloyd's question, my flight arrives at 7 a.m. and I depart for the US at 4 pm. This would be Monday March 28 and my bags should be all checked through -- so no hassles there.

I liked the idea of staying closer to the airport and exploring Narita which looks charming and should provide a nice "taste of Japan" without taking me too far from the airport. However the bus service seems a bit limited, so at some point I might want to take a cab back. Any thoughts on how much cab fare would be? Do I need to change some money--and if so how much for a few hours in Japan? I would assume ATMs are ubiquitous but would like to plan this ahead a bit and arrive with a few yen in my pocket.

Thanks again to you all.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,599 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to Do with 9 hour Tokyo Airport Layover

Here's info on Narita, including the temple. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6400.html The town is 12 minutes by frequent train from the airport, and the temple is nearby.

Back at the airport, there are many shops and restaurants between check-in and passport control. Also dayrooms and showers in the departure areas: narita-airport.jp/en/…svc_37.html

Here is more information, by someone who knows more than I: http://home.earthlink.net/~no_vice/JapanQuestions.htm

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to Do with 9 hour Tokyo Airport Layover

International ATM's at: Airport, Post Office, 7-11 stores & Citbank.

Most other ATM's will not accept your cards.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to Do with 9 hour Tokyo Airport Layover

It's now less than 40 minutes to Keisei Ueno.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
99 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to Do with 9 hour Tokyo Airport Layover

Thanks again to all for the incredibly helpful info. Narita looks absolutely charming and promises a comparatively stress-free destination that's close to the airport.

I've never been to Japan so am excited by the opportunity for this "mini adventure."