We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best time of day to see Cosplay at Harajuku???

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best time of day to see Cosplay at Harajuku???

When we went to Japan in April 2008 we went to Harajuku on a Sunday to see the Cosplay girls, it was around lunchtime. Although the streets were packed we only saw 3 or 4 girls. We were in the street near the station that runs downhill at a right angle to the train line and I am pretty sure we were in the right area.

Is there a particular time of the day on a Sunday where there are more girls dressed up?

Thanks

Pam

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,977 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best time of day to see Cosplay at Harajuku???

Not that many cosplayers are in Harajuku these days compared to say, 3-4 years ago. But you'll still see several every Sunday. Most of them usually come after lunch. I think 2-3pm is a good time in winter.

Australia
Level Contributor
173 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best time of day to see Cosplay at Harajuku???

In October I saw a few groups on the bridge over the rail line at Harajuku station, right outside the entrance to Yoyogi Park. They were in a corner with a crowd standing around. I was in the area 2-3pm.

Singapore
Level Contributor
50 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best time of day to see Cosplay at Harajuku???

Maybe luck factor is involved too ? I saw 2 at Shinjuku on a Tuesday afternoon 2pm+ and 1 at Harajuku on Saturday around 1pm+

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best time of day to see Cosplay at Harajuku???

You were in the wrong area, your positioning was northeast of Harajuku Station, many of the cosplayers gather directly to the south of Harajuku station on the bridge/overpass over the railway tracks, that leads to one of the entrances of Meiji shrine. Sounds like you exited out of the Takeshita Exit of Harajuku Station. On your next trip use the OMOTOSANDO exit of Harajuku Station.

The cosplay at harajuku is very limiting in my opinion to many various designs of "gothica lolita", you can see more of the anime related cosplay if you attend one of the many animation conventions in Tokyo (eg when there's one at Tokyo big site, there you see a huge variety of styles and genres).

Cosplay is also not just limited to Harajuku. You might sometimes see it randomly anywhere at any train station or riding the train, some people wear it as fashion.

Edited: 11 December 2010, 20:30
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best time of day to see Cosplay at Harajuku???

Thanks Guys this info is very helpful.

Cheers

Pam

6. Re: What is the best time of day to see Cosplay at Harajuku???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2011, 05:18