We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo and Kyoto for 9 days (& walls question)

France
Level Contributor
121 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Tokyo and Kyoto for 9 days (& walls question)

Hello all,

We originally planned for an 8 day trip in Japan, 4 in Tokyo and 4 in Kyoto. However, the trip is now for 9 days. Not a big difference I know

but I now wonder if it's nicer to spend 5 days in Kyoto or in Tokyo.

My second question has to do with the thinness of the paper walls at the ryokans. We've found one that we like but now worry about the noise. We don't want to bother our neighbors with our noise (talking, snoring, etc) and vice versa. Are the walls REALLY very thin?

Merci d'avance!

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tokyo and Kyoto for 9 days (& walls question)

Agreed...the 4 or 5 day difference isn't much. Just do some more research about what you most want to see and do, then stay where it makes the most sense for your choices.

The ryokan wall question depends completely on which one you choose. I've stayed in some inns that have thin walls, and others where it is almost impossible to hear any unwanted noise from neighbors. It is likely that the cheapest inns will be more noisy. Do look at the TA hotel reviews for each place you want to stay; if it's been a problem for others stay elsewhere. Once you've chosen places to stay, post your choices in this forum and ask for others' experiences.

France
Level Contributor
121 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tokyo and Kyoto for 9 days (& walls question)

Thank you for your response! I'm thinking of a place called Tokyo Ryokan, which looks very nice and gets decent reviews. Most people seemed happy with it with the exception of a few who complained about the vacuuming noise in the morning.

This is on a completely different topic, but I don't want to flood the forum by opening a new thread. Could someone please confirm the cost for a

r/t ticket between Tokyo-Kyoto on the shinkansen? I am coming up with

about 27,000 yen (or 250 euros), which is more than what I was planning

to pay :(

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tokyo and Kyoto for 9 days (& walls question)

On Hyperdia, the one way fare is posted as 13,720 one way on Nozomi (the fastest train).

http://www.hyperdia.com/

You could easily spend your 9 days in just Tokyo or Kyoto and save that round trip fare. From Tokyo, for example, you can take an easy and inexpensive day trip to Kamakura and see temples and shrines that are just as interesting as those in Kyoto.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,658 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tokyo and Kyoto for 9 days (& walls question)

If you can structure your itinerary to do your long distance train travel with 7 calendar days, a JR pass might be a good option. http://www.japanrailpass.net/ -

While the pass is a bit more expensive than the round trip between Tokyo/Kyoto, if you plan do a day trip or two out of either city, you're ahead of the game. In addition, the pass is valid on Narita Express.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tokyo and Kyoto for 9 days (& walls question)

I was in Japan for 10 days last April and my friend and I also did half Tokyo, half Kyoto. We stayed in Tokyo for 3 nights, then Kyoto for 4 nights, then back to Tokyo for another 2 nights. We were really pleased we split it up, as we were able to adjust to Japan for the first bit in Tokyo, do to the major touristy things we wanted to see there, and then came back and did things we felt we'd missed out on now that we were more accustomed to Japan. Have fun! You will love it regardless of whether you stay in Tokyo or Kyoto for longer.

France
Level Contributor
121 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tokyo and Kyoto for 9 days (& walls question)

@ jtt - I also used hyperdia.com and the search results came up with 13,520 yen one way on Nozomi. This includes fare and seat fee. I'm not sure what the latter means as some trips don't seem to have a seat fee and others do.

@ Dave - I'm looking into the 7 day rail pass and will post my calculations here for further inputs! At the moment, we're contemplating one side trip, Kyoto-Osaka. By Narita Express do you mean the Express Limited? The rail pass website states that a pass allows "Unlimited travel on almost all JR trains nationwide, including bullet trains, limited express trains, local trains, some JR buses and the JR ferry to Miyajima." Does this mean we can use our passes for the metro in Tokyo and buses in Kyoto?

Thanks haleyjill. Kyoto does look too lovely to pass up, especially when we don't know when our next opportunity to go to Japan will be.

THANK YOU so much for your responses everyone!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,658 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tokyo and Kyoto for 9 days (& walls question)

Narita Express - http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/

Not all subways in Tokyo are JR. However, the ultra convenient Yamanote line is - http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2370.html - and will get you to many places in Tokyo.

Local buses in Kyoto are not JR. In Kyoto a sightseeing pass is a good option -http://www.city.kyoto.jp/koho/eng/access/transport.html

When using hyperdia to compare individual tickets vs a JR pass, make sure to un-check the Nozomi box since you can't use Nozomi trains with a JR pass.

France
Level Contributor
121 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tokyo and Kyoto for 9 days (& walls question)

Thank you for the tips! I took your advice and unchecked the Nozomi box and got a lot of "SHINKANSEN HIKARI" options. Do you know why some Shinkansen Hikari is cheaper than others? For example, the SHINKANSEN HIKARI 469 and 511 are 13,220 yen/person/way, whereas the SHINKANSEN HIKARI 501 is about 200 yen more expensive. Is it because certain trains are newer? I know a couple hundred of yens seem like peanuts, but money can disappear quickly, esp. on a vacation!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,658 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tokyo and Kyoto for 9 days (& walls question)

Hikari trains are less expensive than Nozomi trains because they make a few more stops between Tokyo & Kyoto. Overall, about an additional 20-30 minutes on the train. Why one Hikari is 200 yen more than another, I assume an extra stop or two.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tokyo and Kyoto for 9 days (& walls question)

Y13420 should be the fare. I'm not sure where Y13220 comes from. Maybe the season?