We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nikko?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
410 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nikko?

We went to Hakone last time. This time we were planning to visit either Nara or Nikko. I found out Nara is pretty far away (needs overnight stay) so I crossed Nara out of my "To Visit" list. Is Nikko worth to visit (day trip)? Any recommedation is appreciated. Thanks!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,725 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nikko?

Nikko is worthy of the day trip. The major attractions are the World Heritage shrines such as Toshugo. Then you can take the bus up to Lake Chuzenji to see the lake and Kegon Falls. This is a solid day trip. Be sure to check out the Tobu rail passes to save money.

Nikko info:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3800.html

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nikko?

Defintely worth a visit. Its home to the three wise monkeys and the whole complex is amazing. Hopefully you wont have to walk around in torrential rain all day like I did. Nara is nicer in my opinion but like you say - you would be pushing to get there and back although not impossible. you would have to take a shinkansen to osaka and then another train to nara. That doesnt mean you will have been short changed going to Nikko. if you want to see loads of pics and get more info you can check out my website angietravels.com

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Nikko?

Thanks Sammyfloyd and angietravel1 for the info!

Seems like lots to see in Nikko. I looked a the Tobu schedule, the first "Rapid" train leaves the Asakusa Station at 6:20a and arrives at Nikko at around 8:30a, that leaves us about 8.5 hours of day light to look around. Do you guys have any recommendation routes/loops that I should follow like the Hakone loop. Thanks.

Angietravel1 ~ thanks for the link, I will defintiely take a look at your site this weekend. :)

Edited: 07 January 2011, 16:41
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,725 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nikko?

From the Tobu Nikko station, first pick up some visitor material. Then you can either walk or take the bus to Toshugo. The entire shrine complex is walkable and you will likely spend anywhere from 2-4 hours visiting. I suggest you do a little homework to understand the historical significance of the shrines and the people involved to enjoy your visit.

After the shrines, head across the street to catch the bus up to Lake Chuzenji (30 minute ride or so). There is a bus stop near Kegon Falls. After Kegon Falls, walk around the lake or take a bus to tour. The lake is very scenic. There are shrines around the area as well if you haven't got enough back in Nikko. Catch the bus back down to Tobu Nikko station to return to Tokyo. The road back down is very curvy with 20+ hairpin turns. If you are prone to motion sickness, you might want to take some medication in advance.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
105 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nikko?

We went to Niko & purchase world heritage tickets type from Tobu station, arriving at ~ 9.30. Took the bus to Chuzenji falls right outside Tobu station, went down to see the falls (we skipped the lake) and by noon returned back to see the temples. Do not expect niagara size falls, and if you don't have enough time, in my opinion it is not a big miss. The road is winding, not too bad though.

Finished seeing temple by ~ 4, then ate at Hippari Tako (a highlight! the wall is adorned by cards from customers all over the world, the food is simple yet delish).

There is a stall selling delicious fried red bean by Tobu train station, simply the BEST snack we had in Japan. Caught the train back to Asakusa at 5.30 ish. But then it was in December so traffic was not a problem.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nikko?

Nikko, definitely shouldn't be missed although I don't think you need to leave so early, we did it as a day trip and left Tokyo at about 8.30 am.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Nikko?

Hi all ~ Thank you very much for all the info! I will start doing my research on all these places (temples and falls) .

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
85 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nikko?

Nikko was the best part of our trip to Japan in 2009. It felt very isolated and ancient, very nice setting among the shrines and temples. It's very doable in a day. We went in Nov and had gorgeous colors. I still think about Nikko and hope to go back soon.

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nikko?

A day trip from Tokyo to Nara just doesn't make sense, there wouldn't be enough time. It's best to do that from Kyoto.

If you have another day available, you could do a day trip from Tokyo to Kamakura. Several temples to see there, including the Daibutsu and Hasedera.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Nikko?

Hi Japantravelteacher ~ We went to the Big Budda place in Kamakura in 09 already. I like to go to Nara but we just don't want to check out from the hotel in Tokyo, go to Nara for a couple of days and then come back to Tokyo again to check in. Anyway, thanks for your suggestion.

Anthony ~ Thanks for the comments, it looks very pretty in the pictures especially when the leaves start to change colour but unfortunately we will be in Japan at the end of Feb to beginning of March. I just hope it won't snow or rain.

Edited: 12 January 2011, 03:41