We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Tokyo in Summer 2011.

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Derby
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Tokyo in Summer 2011.

Hi all,

Supposed to go to Japan in July for two weeks - mainly south of Tokyo - with Explore Travel (a British company) Wondering whether to get my money back...

MMD

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
142 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Tokyo in Summer 2011.

I have tickets for this summer, and am in wait and see mode. I don't think we know enough to say anything about what it will be like come July or August.

Why do you need to decide now? Is there a deadline past which you lose your deposit if you cancel? If you've already lost your deposit, I'd wait and see.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Tokyo in Summer 2011.

Wait and see is the best.

But...from all the local news coming out, reading between the lines on official announcements...it looks likely that there will be major power problems in Tokyo this summer. As the city gets hotter and people need aircon the power system will be under pressure, it's likely that:

rolling blackouts will continue

train services will be cut

summer time may be introduced by the government finally

power costs will increase sharply

major venues such as hotels and entertainment places will operate on limited hours

Japan NEEDS visitors now, but travel and stays will have some problems that you wouldn't expect here usually.

Hard to advice really.

Come? please?

Amanda

Oz
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Tokyo in Summer 2011.

Our June itinerary has changed due to the current situation as all our travel involved north of Tokyo , Sendai , Matsushima and up.....

We will still be travelling in June but flying in through Kansai... we still have reservations in Hakone and as I mentioned in another thread they are doing it tough... Japan needs it's tourists.....

Derby
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Tokyo in Summer 2011.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and replies!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
263 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Tokyo in Summer 2011.

So far, the tour I'm on is still a go for August. The Tokyo portions will likely be a bit more difficult now due to the heat + power conservation, but the rest of the itinerary had us hitting cities from there to Fukuoka and back anyway.

Just have to be flexible with the planned Tokyo itinerary, drink more fluids, dress smartly for heat, and pack adequate sunscreen & anti-perspirant.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,196 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Tokyo in Summer 2011.

I have been to Japan 45 times and wouldn't hesitate for a minute. I would go tomorrow if I could afford it. Japanese organisation means that everything will work better than you can possibly imagine. Western Japan is unaffected. The power station would be my only concern but the situation should be mouch clearer in a month or so.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Tokyo in Summer 2011.

Its clear there will be a serious power shortage in East Japan for the remainder of the year. Depending on government policy, conservation efforts mean that it is unlikely air conditioning will be fully available this summer. The heat and humidity will be very strong, so its going to be a long, hot summer.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
263 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Tokyo in Summer 2011.

Sounds like there will be an even greater exodus from Tokyo during Obon...

Considering the tour I'm on ends in Tokyo on Friday August 12th, I'm hoping the city won't be completely shut down, since I've scheduled a few more days there visiting old friends, seeing a few sights, and doing a bit of shopping...

Derby
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to Tokyo in Summer 2011.

Any more thoughts from anybody on my original post? ie is it still a good idea to go to Japan between 20th July-6th August this year??

All help gratefully received!

MMD.

New York
Level Contributor
318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to Tokyo in Summer 2011.

i will let you know how it is after my june trip! i cant see any reason to cancel your trip.