We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Level of environmental safety in Japan?

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gold Coast
2 posts
Save Topic
Level of environmental safety in Japan?

My family had plans to travel to Japan. But we are disturbed because radiation levels there. Please tell me the best advice.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Level of environmental safety in Japan?

Would help to know where exactly you are going, when you were going etc. A bit short on information to give advice.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Level of environmental safety in Japan?

Here you go. Very timely. No matter where you go in the WORLD, you're going to get zapped!

bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-01/hong-kong-radi…

East Coast of...
Level Contributor
586 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Level of environmental safety in Japan?

Thanks for posting that, mamajelli.

The irony is rich. Think of all the people who "escaped" from Tokyo only to increase their exposure by first boarding a plane and then landing in a more radioactive destination.

It seems that amid all this paranoia, Tokyo could be promoting itself to Indians and Brazilians as a safe refuge from natural radiation. (Reduce your radiation dose by over 90%! Come to Shinjuku!)

Even the Brits could cut their exposure in half by coming to Tokyo and inhaling deeply the slightly radioactive air.

I know there are some people who belong to the "any radiation is too much radiation" school of thought, but they seem to disregard the fact that radiation has been with us since the beginning of time.

There is such a thing as "too much radiation." I think the smart folks who study such things have a good idea about how much is too much, and the bottom line up to now is that Tokyo is ridiculously far below that level.

The real danger in the near future is not radiation. It's hysteria.

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Level of environmental safety in Japan?

Yep and the fact is, even in the United States, cities like Denver, experience MUCH more natural background radiation due to it's location then you would get exposed to standing on the streets of Tokyo right now.

Edited: 01 April 2011, 23:58
new york city
Level Contributor
16 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Level of environmental safety in Japan?

This is a fantastic link. Thank you!!

I'm scheduled to travel to Japan in mid April (a trip I've been planning for more than a year) and the most stressful part has been convincing friends and family that I'm not crazy for still going. I am saving all the helpful links I find on this forum and elsewhere to give to those concerned family and friends.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Level of environmental safety in Japan?

You can check for yourself:

For Tokyo (Shinjuku) …windows.net/page/13_Tokyo_en.html

For Japan: mext.go.jp/english/…1303986.htm

The data is being monitored so there is no reason to not trust the reliability of the information.

Or just google "MEXT"

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Level of environmental safety in Japan?

Paranoia is fine. It keeps us safe. The problem is misguided paranoia and that costs us money, convenience and safety. I think in this case, the people who fled didn't even realize they were fleeing to places where their exposure to radiation (albeit trivial and nothing to be concerned about) was actually going to be elevated.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Level of environmental safety in Japan?

Thanks for that great link mamajelli. Like B-212, I'm saving it to use with the family, if needed. My 15 year old daughter and I are supposed to spend the entire summer in Tokyo for her modeling and so far neither of us are at all deterred from following through on those plans. In fact, we're really excited, as it's our first trip to Japan (or Asia, for that matter). It's still nice to get reassurance from all the experts on here that we're doing the right thing, though!

That being said, we are praying for the people of the disaster-affected area daily, and have started a fund-raiser at our school to help with the relief effort. As excited as we are about our trip, we don't want to lose sight of the fact that this is about much more than our personal travel plans.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Level of environmental safety in Japan?

Ditto #7. The media is doing a swell job of scaremongering(half of what I am hearing on CNN et al is laughable) and keeping tourists away. All is fine IF you AVOID the affected areas- you probably couldn't get out there anyhow as the transportation systems are not yet up and running- and come out here to western Japan. It's business as usual for us in this part of the nation, and presently we are enjoying the lovely cherry blossoms. :-)

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Level of environmental safety in Japan?

M-N, was there any sympathetic aftershocks or shaking that occurred where you are as a result of the shaking up north? I'm assuming you must have felt something but not much if anything. Also, was there any tsunami effects down there? I'm trying to get a grip on what it was like out west. My sister-in-law in Nagoya said it was just a yawner where she is and life goes on as usual there.