We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itenerary help

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
139 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
itenerary help

hi guys. i'd be arriving narita airport 4th december. (Leaving 15th)

i've already booked Hotel Yanagibasi Taito-Ku for 3 nights, so far

so >

4th-8th - Tokyo

8th-12th - Kyoto

from 12th to 14th - ???

14th - Tokyo

15th - Narita Airport

1) whilst in kyoto, should I go for day-trip in osaka?

2) is 8th-12th too much for kyoto? should I cut 1 day?

3) after kyoto, using JR pass, which city or village or hiking mountain do u recommend to visit? I really loved HuangShan China, is there a similar place ?

any help greatly appreciated ! thanks in advance !

for my iterenary, should I get 7 or 10-day JR pass?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
53,673 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itenerary help

Any reason for wanting to stay at Hotel Yanagibasi? It's a rather unusual choice.

8th to 12th (around 5 days) are a good amount of time to base yourself in Kyoto. Osaka would be a good day trip from Kyoto. You should also spend a day at Nara. Spend two full days at Kyoto center and one day at nearby Arashiyama.

There is not really anything like Huang Shan in the immediate vicinity I can think of. Hakone (with Mt. Fuji views) is a scenic trip you can take between Tokyo and Osaka.

Go with the 7-day JR Pass. If you want to save a bit more money, move your 14th Tokyo day to before Kyoto so you can use your pass all the way to Narita Airport.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
139 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itenerary help

hi there thanks so much for the reply

I chose Hotel Yanagibasi for the good reviews and especially cost, about $97 including taxes per night. (can be canceled though)

thanks for all the suggestions ! plenty homework to do !

-edit- seems like I'm able to get to book Hotel Sunroute Takadanobaba for around the same price !

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,494 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: itenerary help

In Kyoto, don’t miss the evening lit-up event in Arashiyama.

www.hanatouro.jp/e/arashiyama/index.html

For your spare days consider some of the popular destinations like Hiroshima, Miyajima, Koya-san, Kobe, Nara or Osaka. In Miyajima and Koya-san you get the chance to take a ropeway/cablecar ride for the “mountain” feel but nothing that can compared to the beauty of China’s Huangshan.

BTW, note than there is no 10-day JR rail pass, it’s either 7-day, 14-day or 21-day.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
139 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itenerary help

wow william, thanks alot ! that arashiyama event i must not miss !

amogst the listed cities (Hiroshima, Miyajima, Koya-san, Kobe, Nara or Osaka), which do you think has easy access by JR pass and very different from tokyo and kyoto ?

thanks again ! very helpful

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,494 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: itenerary help

You can use the JR rail pass on all the mentioned places except Koya-san. If you can’t do all, Hiroshima and Miyajima should top the list. For the ferry to Miyajima, you can also use the rail pass if you take the one run by JR.

Ideally spend a night in Miyajima to see the place beautifully lit up after dusk. Even if not staying for the night, you can take a later ferry back to the mainland as the last ferry out is around 22.00.

miyajima.or.jp/english/spot/spot_lightup.html

To see the off-shore Otorii Gate and Itsukushima Shrine seemingly to be floating on water, try to be there during high tide. The following is the tide schedule for Dec 2011. The blue column indicates high tide while the yellow one is for low tide.

http://www.miyajima.or.jp/sio/sio12.html

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
28 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itenerary help

Hi zzzxtreme,

I noticed your pic shows a person with lots of shopping bags. Do you like to shop? Have you already changed your Tokyo lodgings to Hotel Sunroute Takadanobaba or are you still considering? The reason I ask this, is because there is a very nice (high quality) craft store not all that far from Takadanobaba.

The shop is called BINGOYA.

http://www.quasar.nu/bingoya/

The shop has been around forever and carries high quality crafts from all over Japan---everything from Japanese paper to pottery. Everything is handmade and made in Japan. If you are going to be staying in Takadanobaba or Shinjuku and are interested in such things, you might want to give it a look.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: itenerary help

You can easily do a day trip to Hirsohima from Osaka (which if you are in Kyoto is only 15 mins away). If you get to Hiroshima early take the #2 cable car to the end of the line (it does take about an hour) where you can get the ferry to Miyajima (its free if you have a rail pass). Spend a couple of hours then head back on the same ferry which will take you to the atomic bomb sites. Go straight to the museum as this shuts at some point and the exbibits and infromation should not be rushed, then walk round the grounds. Some of the monuments are very poignant, especailly the one dedicated to children. You can then go back to the station and head back to Kyoto or osaka. If you have a couple of days then I would definitely recommend a temple stay in Koyasan. Its a really authentic japanese experience from the vegan meals to getting up at the crack of dawn to listen to the monks at prayer. Koyasan is the biggest buddhist center in japan and is also home to the largest buddhist experience which is a really surreal place to walk through at night. Its abit spooky but quite safe. It was one of the best experience I had in Japan.

have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
139 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: itenerary help

thanks very much all

after considering your advices I updated my itinerary to this

4-8 - tokyo (booked sunroute higashi hotel shinjuku for $80 a nite)

8-11 - kyoto (please recommend a location)

11-12 - osaka + arashiyama ??

12-14 - koyasan

14-15 - hotel near narita airport for 5500 yen with free shuttle bus

do you guys see anything wrong with my plan?

I'm still unsure with osaka/arashiyama, might skip them

and for my 7-day JR pass, can I go to the tokyo station departing for kyoto and just "activate" my JR pass there? or must it be booked in advanced?

9. Re: itenerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 03:17