We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food in Tokyo

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Food in Tokyo

Hello,

Can anyone recommend places to eat in Tokyo (near touristy places e.g. Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku, Ginza, Ikebukuro, Asakusa)? I only managed to find one place = Maisen for the best Tonkatsu. Any recommendations on the best sushi, curry, ramen, teppanyaki, udon, yakitori, tempura, sukuyaki, sweets?

Thanks so much :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Food in Tokyo

Found it! See link below:

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=16430894324226823271&q=Tonkatsu+ebisu&hl=en&cd=1&cad=src:ppiwlink&ei=U5uITvytCYO6M-bRhPIG&dtab=2

Apparently, recently they have been inconsistent. Repeat customers have been dissatisfied. Hmmm. .. It was great less than 2 years ago. So aim unsure whether to recommend still or not? Here's a TA REVIEW:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g1066456-d…

I guess you can decide. I know we will go back when we're there. They have a unique sauce combo that we really miss.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Food in Tokyo

there are def lots of "best" foods in japan! we've had great sushi meals at umi (aoyama) and harutaka (ginza). tonchin ramen (ikebukuro) and ramen jiro (meguro) are great, but i've rarely had a bad bowl of ramen in japan. taimeiken is a nice cheap spot with omu-rice, hanbagu-rice etc. imoya is a good spot for ebi tempura. zunda mochi is a sendai specialty but you can try it at zunda saryo at the daimaru tokyo station. while you're there, you can stand in line for nenrinya baumkuchen, if that's your thing. hanabatake bokujo from hokkaido has a couple shops in tokyo where you can get raw caramel, pudding, milk or caramel flavor soft serve ice cream, choco-covered potato chips, cheesecake...the washita okinawa shop in ginza has mango soft serve ice cream (has chunks of mango fruit in it). something more accessible is the chiffon cake at starbucks that changes flavors seasonally.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Food in Tokyo

No, absolutely not. The price can vary from very inexpensive to stratospheric, depending mostly on the quality of the fish and the reputation of the chef who chooses and prepares the fish.

<<<Are the price of Japanese sushi in Tokyo all about the same :¥3500 average per person per meal ?? >>>

Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Food in Tokyo

Thanks so much Snowboardbunny :)

Really looking fwd to my trip to Tokyo...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Food in Tokyo

You're welcome! Let us know which restaurants you did try once you get back!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
263 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Food in Tokyo

<<They have a mechanical bull, which I have never seen used, but apparently they make it available to use on the weekend nights>>

My ex-patriate friends took me to Zest as a farewell dinner on a Sunday last August (during Obon), and the mechanical bull was in full operation until around 10 pm. It was mostly used for those people celebrating birthdays (a mild spin cycle), but there were quite a few that tried it at full power. Fun place and had one of best Chimichangas I've ever eaten.

Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Food in Tokyo

I am back from Tokyo!!

Here're the food I tried in Tokyo (thanks to all of you guys!!):

1. Ichiran Ramen - I tried this on the last day. I made a special trip to Ueno and it was totally worth it! The experience of eating in a booth was unique and the ramen tasted great too. Ordering was a breeze - First, you put coins into a machine with pictures of what you like to order (e.g. ramen + additional egg + additional pork + drink + etc). Then, you are shown to empty seats in a booth. There's a small opening in front of the booth where a staff will give you a list of items to select e.g. strength of the soup, tenderness of the ramen, etc. They gave me an English list when I couldn't understand the Japanese one. This idea of sitting in a booth is a totally cool idea and I wish I could introduce it here...you can now eat alone in a restaurant without felling embarrassed...sweet!! Btw, I did had some difficulty locating the place. So here're my directions - whichever exit you come out of from the JR Ueno Station, always walk towards Ameyoko. You will not miss the huge Ameyoko sign. Once you stand in front of the sign, turn your body 180degrees (i.e. back facing Ameyoko sign), walk straight, cross the road and walk towards the Ueno Station entrance, walk past the station entrance on the left and there's a row of shops right below the Ueno Station, continue walking till the end and you will see the restaurant (I think it's the last or second last restuarant with a red glass display and banner. If you manage to find the Yamashita exit of the JR Ueno Station, it's on the right of the exit.

2. Omoide Yokocho (Yakitori Alley) - I found this by mistake while being lost in Shinjuku. You must totally make a trip there, just to soak in the atmosphere. It's 2 small alleys of Yakitori restaurants, very crowded with lots of locals. I had some Yakitori, it was ok, nothing fantastic, but still loved it just for the experience. Here're the directions - exit from the east entrance of Shinjuku Station, you will see an open area with lots of people gathering and smoking there. Walk straight and turn left when you reach the road barrier, you will see an underpass. Walk into the underpass and turn right after exiting. You will see a bright sign at the entrance of an alley on the extreme right. Although I can't read the Japanese sign, I am pretty sure, it's the Yakitori alley after I walk into the alley.

3. Sushi @ Tsujiki - always a must try for the freshest sashimi. The restuarants are very crowded (at least for the good ones), especially Daiwa Sushi. I chose the restuarant with a reasonable queue and the standard is just as good.

4. Maisen Tonkatsu - this was the highly recommended Tonkatsu, which I tried while shopping @ Omotesando Street. I tried the special black pork, it was nice and tender, but I can't say that it's the best I have tried. It's an easy find, just walk past the Omotesando Hills (shopping center) and you will see a "Maisen sign" at the entrance of an alley on the left. Follow the signs and you shouldn't have a problem locating the restaurant.

5. Red bean dessert - there's this restuarant @ Ginza (near the Burrberry building). I don't know what is the English name (because there's none!) but you can recognise it as there's a big word "tiger" in chinese in the restuarant. I tried the red bean dessert, it was rich and tasty. I guess there're many dessert cafes in Ginza but this one is certainly worth a visit.

Wish I had more time to explore the food in Japan :)

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Food in Tokyo

Thanks for the report. It's good you experienced Ichiran Ramen. The location and eating alone part makes it special. The tonkotsu is OK but the fact you can tailor it to your taste is what makes it really good.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Food in Tokyo

Thanks, lingsj, for reporting back with great descriptions of your meals and helpful directions to the restaurants! Glad you had a good trip.

Singapore
Level Contributor
59 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Food in Tokyo

Thanks for the detailed instructions on getting to Yakitori Alley! :) Sounds like great fun! :)