We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day in tokyo

miami
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
one day in tokyo

My husband and I are stopping one day and two nights in Tokyo at the end of this mont h

Any advice or tips to maximize our short stay (what to see, eat, ...)will be gratefully appreciated. it's our irst time in tokyo and we are staying at hotel nihonbashi villa, Nihonbashi Bakurocho, Chuo-ku, Tokyo,

Any tour suggestions, restaurants or sites to visit wil help

Thanks

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one day in tokyo

Night 1 Head to the Roppongi Art Museum at Mori Tower and Shinjuku Govt Building roof top, get some sleep....

Day 2/Night 2 (i Just wrote this for someone else and i'm cutting and pasting it but it should be good :) )

Wake up as early as possible head to the Tsukiji Fish Market (Toei Oedo (puple) train to Tsukiji Shijo), try to be there by 6am. Ok it's not too hard to find once you are in the area, it is a large warehouse, I mean HUGE! There will be a lot of trucks and motorized little vechiles so watch your step. I just took pictures, And don't worry that is perfectly normal, you don't have to buy anything, there are a few sushi restaurants there and close by if you want to do a sushi breakfast.

breakfast there. My original plan was to walk to the Tsukiji Hongan Station and take the Hibiya Grey Line train to the Hibiya station to walk around Ginza then to the Imperial Palace. Instead just walk that way, Harumi Dori Avenue will lead you there, a lot of nice cafes on the way, I reccommend stopping in for a pastry and coffee. You will also pass the famous Kabuki-Za Theater. Check out the sony building and do some shopping or maybe just browse if you are on a budget. From here you can walk to the Imperial Palace by taking Harumi Dori Avenue again, it is a long but nice walk. When it starts getting very green you are close to the Palace, make sure you check out these awesome statues as well at the palace. Go to the Hibiya Station, take the Hibiya Grey Line to the Ginza Station, transfer to the Ginza orange line to the Shimbashi Station. Walk to the Hama Ryku Garden, I forgot how much entry is but it’s not more than $3/ 228 yen. The Garden is extremely beautiful, but you will still be surrounded by high rises. Take the Sumida River Cruise to Asakusa, it leaves either directly from the Garden or right next to it, there will be plenty of signs. This was a real pleasant surprise it’s under $10, and really a cool way of seeing Tokyo, the announcer makes an effort to tell you what you are passing in English but the boat is loud and hard to hear him. I was on a very uncrowded ship which was really cool. check out the Senso-Ji temple, it is a short walk north west from the river cruise stop. There are a quite a few buildings, shrines, and pagodas, tons of shops, and places that sell ninja swords as well. Check out the side streets as you will get a small glance into Old Tokyo. Best bet is to walk to Akihabara and check out electric town you may also go via the Toei Asakusa line to Ningyocho, then Hibiya to Akihabara. It will not be hard to find electric town, it is all over! It’s also big on comics/anime. Back to Shinjuku, hang around there for night life, check out the Tokyo Government Building, entrance to the top was free when I went, you’ll want to go perhaps get some beers in urination (ta won't let me use the p word) alley. It's a popular section of little bars/pubs.

-Joe

www.6ofthe7continents.blogspot.com

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one day in tokyo

Here's a link to various favourite Tokyo destinations and sites.

www.japanvisitor.com/index.php…

If you see anything you like, you can post back here for specific directions or recommendations. It's hard to recommend anything without knowing what you want to see and how comfortable you are with traveling.

Perth, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: one day in tokyo

Braveheart10 your posting has great content.

We are 4 seniors on a cruise late March, berthing at Yokohama. We have about 11 hours all up to see as much as we can fit in.

I have come up with Shinjuku, Shinjuku goen park, Metro Gov. Bldg. Sibuya Crossing, Meiji-Jingu Shring,Ginza, Akihabara and Senso-ji.

We have had prices from tour groups between $200 & $250 Aus pp, which is totally out of our price range. The ships tours are not too different in price and they have a very poor choice of tours, topping up with shopping and lunches to till in time.

I think I have established that Shinjuku and Metro Gov. Bldg are reasonably close and Shibuya and Ginza on the same rail line.

How hard do you think it will be to negotiate from the port to the railway and then getting to places from the station? Do you know if we can get from the port directly to any of these places and would you mind setting out something that is doable and not too stressful.

Many thanks

Jillb

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one day in tokyo

Hi Jill

Don't want to get off topic from the original poster so sent you a private message but sure I can help you.

-Joe

5. Re: one day in tokyo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 22:19