We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve Tokyo 2012

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
New Years Eve Tokyo 2012

Hi,

I've tried trawling google and a couple of other sites but cannot seem to find much information on what to do for NYE in Tokyo.

My and my gf (both 26) wanted to find something interesting to do.

There does not seem to be too much information about bars or any parties where we can pre buy tickets to.

Should we go to Zojoji and hopefully someone can recommend a bar afterwards?

We will be staying at the Citadines Shinjuku.

Thanks in advance

Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,332 Reviews
from US$140.60*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
955 Reviews
from US$65.30*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
125 Reviews
from US$54.40*
Indianapolis...
4 posts
1. Re: New Years Eve Tokyo 2012

There does not seem to be too much information about bars or any parties where we can pre buy tickets to.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: New Years Eve Tokyo 2012

I don't think you'll need to pre buy tickets for those things.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
3. Re: New Years Eve Tokyo 2012

thanks.

I was hoping that there might be some actual organised parties or functions that anyone might know of which we could purchase tickets to.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: New Years Eve Tokyo 2012

New Years is different in Japan from western countries. It's not a time of celebration and partying. It's a quiet, solemn time to be with your family. People are not out getting wasted and waiting for the ball to drop in Time's Square.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
5. Re: New Years Eve Tokyo 2012

Thats ok. I found a listing of bars.

www.worldsbestbars.com/search-results.htm…

I'm sure I can make my own fun.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
71 reviews
6. Re: New Years Eve Tokyo 2012

http://metropolis.co.jp/

You can download the PDF version of the print copy of Metropolis magazine. There will be ads for western style NYE parties listed there. ThEre are a lot in Roppongi area, as well as other areas. You can purchase tix in advance. The magazine itself usually throws a big party. Don't worry, there is tonnes of fun to be had on NYE at the right parties. Good luck! :-)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
7. Re: New Years Eve Tokyo 2012

Thankyou so much.

I knew i shouldnt believe all the naysayers!

Will definately check it all out

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: New Years Eve Tokyo 2012

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a naysayer, but it does seem that way. My point was that in general, the entire country is in this state of family time and taking a real holiday from work. The Roppongi area is probably going to have plenty of western-style partying going on due to the number of foreigners who congregate there but it will most certainly be confined to certain foreign enclaves (such as Roppongi). But it won't be like in the west where the entire country is out getting wasted and celebrating. Salarymen already do that every weekday evening in Shinjuku, Shibuya, Shimbashi and Shinagawa.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara
Level Contributor
9,202 posts
9. Re: New Years Eve Tokyo 2012

Nice one, Route.

<<Salarymen already do that every weekday evening in Shinjuku, Shibuya, Shimbashi and Shinagawa.>>

and followed by Yurakucho, Ginza and Akasaka, perhaps.

You gotta be tough to stay a Japanese salaryman with an iron-liver. Yes, some of them, though, do take a 'liver holiday' on weekends/legal holidays. For them and their families, NYE should be a quiet/peaceful night, watching Red and White Singing Contest on TV.

Edited: 29 November 2011, 06:43
10. Re: New Years Eve Tokyo 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 November 2012, 18:05