We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bullet Train Tokyo to Nagoya

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
247 posts
223 reviews
Save Topic
Bullet Train Tokyo to Nagoya

Hi

I will be in Tokyo on business, and would like to fly into Tokyo airport and get the bullet train to Nagoya. From what I can see online I need to Tokaido Shinkansen - however I have no idea if I can go direct from Tokyo airport, or whether I have to get a local train into Tokyo to get the Shunkansen out again?

If possible I'd like it all booked online before going, but again other than JR East / JR West I can't find the online booking forms - do they exist?

As I speak no Japanese I dont want to make life hard, but equally I'm unlikely to be in Japan again any time soon and riding the bullet train is a real must where possible - what a shame to go all that way and not do it right?

Thanks in advance

London
Level Contributor
449 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bullet Train Tokyo to Nagoya

The Shinkansens only run from central Tokyo rather than the airport. Is it Narita or Haneda you are flying in to? If it's Narita, there are English speaking counters in the JR booths. Probably the easiest thing to do is get the Narita Express to Tokyo (either Tokyo station itself - or Shinagawa, which is easier to navigate as a station as NEX comes way down into the basement of Tokyo station). You can then change for the Shinkansen - the Nozomi being the quickest option (the slower types are the Hikari and Kodama).

There is a quicker and cheaper route by taking the Skyliner to Nippori and getting the Yamanote loop round. This is probably some hassle though, especially for a first time visit.

I am not aware of any reservations sites where you can book in English I'm afraid. However, there are plenty of services to Nagoya so that shouldn't be an issue (unless you are in a peak holiday season like Golden Week). Also with clearing customs, etc that could affect the trains you actually take.

You can check out train timings here:

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

London, United...
Level Contributor
247 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bullet Train Tokyo to Nagoya

Thank you. So it looks like get the Narita express into Tokyo - preferrably Shinagawa (how do i specify that station at airport?) and then change (in same station?) for Shinkansen Nozomi to Nagoya?

Its the buying of the ticket and finding of Platform I'm most concerned about.

Thanks for your help

London
Level Contributor
449 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bullet Train Tokyo to Nagoya

In terms of buying the ticket, just tell them at the ticket desk (there are plenty of English speakers at the Ariport ticket barriers). It depends on which terminal you fly into but there are plenty of signs for the JR lines (though all train lines come in to the same place).

As for Shinagawa, basically, the Shinkansen tracks will be on your left as you come in to the station. Head towards there (there are signposts as well for the Shinkansen entrance) and go through the barriers. There will be monitors which flash between English and Japanese showing the times and platforms. In fact just seeing the times should be good with trains being so accurate. The destination will probably be Hakata, Okayama or possible Shin Osaka.

If you are really concerned though, on Hyperdia, when you bring up the train times, you can click on the details and it should show you which platform the train departs from.

Should you need to change at Tokyo, you need to go up several escalators, head to the opposite side of the station (roughly) and look for the Shinkansen tracks then "Tokkaido Shinkansen" (this is the line for heading west, the other services head East/North). Hope all goes well!

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bullet Train Tokyo to Nagoya

The most direct, less complicated route would be to take Narita Express from the airport into Shinagawa station. Shinagawa is easier to navigate.

Change there for shinkansen Tokaido line to Nagoya.

When you land in Narita, it will be easy to find the JR ticket office. People there will take care of you, it won't be a problem. You will receive a printed ticket (in English!) and on the ticket you will see all the info you need...times, reserved seat and car numbers, and track number.

When you change trains in Shinagawa, you can show a station employee your ticket and they will direct you to the correct track.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,645 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bullet Train Tokyo to Nagoya

Yes, take the NEX to Shinagawa and transfer to the Shinkansen there. No need to complicate things by taking the Skyliner. Here is a map of Shinagawa Station. You'll get off NEX at platform 13 or 14. The Shinkansen to Nagoya leaves from platform 23 or 24. There are displays with your train number and the platform number. It's easy to figure it out:

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e788.html

The NEX timetable:

…eki-net.com/pc/…index.html

The Shinkansen timetable:

shinkansen.co.jp/jikoku_hyo/en/sanyou/sdh_sh…

NRT to Shinagawa is 70 minutes. 10 minutes is enough for the transfer.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,339 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bullet Train Tokyo to Nagoya

At NRT, follow the signs to trains and JR. The platforms and ticket windows are basically at the bottom level. Signs will be in both English and Japanese so it's pretty easy.

All NEX seats are reserved by default. Shinkansen has an option of reserved and unreserved seats. Since the cost is just a few hundred Yen more, I suggest you get the reserved seat so you won't have to look for an open seat in the unreserved car when you are in unfamiliar surroundings.

London, United...
Level Contributor
247 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bullet Train Tokyo to Nagoya

Thank you all!! Very helpful indeed!

You hear how no one speaks English etc which concerned me only because of a tight work schedule. But I think it will be easy enough to manage.

Thanks

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,146 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bullet Train Tokyo to Nagoya

Few Japanese speak English really well but there are many who have the basics and almost everyone will do their very best to help. The important thing is to speak slowly and clearly. As with non native speakers everywhere, they will have difficulty if you speak at normal speed, a mistake made by many visitors. I see reviews of hotels I know well which say that staff do not understand English, while I know that all staff do speak English well enough to deal with almost any eventuality. A classic case I observed was a young American who explained his breakfast requirements in detail and at great speed to a waiter who did not understand one word. The same waiter understood me perfectly well when I spoke at about a quarter the speed and used only basic vocabulary.

There will be no difficulty using the Shinkansen. Unless you are a smoker book a seat when you arrive at the station as non smoking unreserved cars are sometimes full and many Japanese smoke almost continuously. The ticket shows the car number and there is a corresponding number on the platform which means you can board at the door nearest to your seat. Nothing else in the world quite equals the organisation of the Japanese rail system. The downside is that once you have experienced it you will be dissatisfied where ever else you go!

London, United...
Level Contributor
247 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bullet Train Tokyo to Nagoya

Hey all, so it looks like we will now travel to Haneda airport instead, landing at 5am on a BA flight. From here I see there is a monorail connection into Tokyo - but how then do we get access to the Tokaido Shinkensen as Shinagawa train station?

Thanks

London
Level Contributor
449 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bullet Train Tokyo to Nagoya

Ouch, that's an early time to land. With the trip down to Nagoya, that should help a bit with the jetlag though.

Looking at Hyperdia, it looks like you can get the Keikyu Airport express direct to Haneda. I don't know if this link will load but here is the timetable:

www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/deptime.html…

I presume the SHinkansen tracks will be on your right as you come in to the station. It will be clearly signposted though.

I haven't tried this so the other route would be: Get the monorail to Hamamatsucho and then the Yamanote line southbound to Shinagawa (2 stops away). There will be signs for this - if it's not labelled southbound, it should be labelled as trains for Shinagawa and Shibuya (so don't take the one for Yurakacho and Tokyo). Shinkansen tracks will be on your left.

I'd hope there is an English speaking window there. If not there are machines which should have the English options.

I dug out this timetable again from a back end search, so hopefully this will load. The Nozomi ones are what you want to go for:

www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/intervaltime.html…