We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May Sumo Tournament

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
555 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
May Sumo Tournament

How difficult is it to get tickets to the May Sumo tournament? Are the events held in the evenings or during the day? Can you see well enough from the cheap seats? Thanks

Tokyo Urban Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, City Tours
Tokyo Localized - Free Walking Tour in Tokyo & More
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours
JTB Sunrise Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Day Trips
My Japan Guide
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May Sumo Tournament

I went to the sumo tournament in tokyo which were held in Septmeber. I attended in the morning but they do go on all day and into the evening. You only have to turn up to buy tickets. I bought the cheapest tickets which were basically up in the top circle, but as the morning sumo tournaments are not so popular it was almost empty so I moved myself down to the lowest level in the circle. Before I left I asked and was allowed to go into the lower level which is where the more expensive seats/cushions are to take some pics. The visit was one of the highlights to my tirp to japan

have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

K J
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
699 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May Sumo Tournament

marrc24, generally, what angie did is not permissible and i find it hard to believe she was allowed to do this or else why buy box seats if one can sit in them for free? sitting in seats that are not your own is frowned upon in japan..this goes for baseball games also. it is poor form for a visitor in my view...BTW, it is poor form at leafs games also (i am a seasons tic holder and when people sit in my seats, i am furious)...it most certainly should not be something advocated on this forum.

you can pick up sumo tickets in advance from http://www.buysumotickets.com/ i have bought tickets from jeff before. they go on sale in early april.

balcony seat views are fine...but please, do not do what all the tourists seem to do and go to the lower level to take pictures...it is disruptive to those that have actually paid big bucks to be on the lower level...even C level box per person start at just under 10000 per.... the japanses are far to kind to tell you to go back to your seats...but i certainly will and tell you to get the heck out of my view...apparently everyone these days is a pulitzer prize winning photographer...

things are generally wrapped up around 6:30 or so. the main "heavy weight" matches start at 4 and you should probably aim to be there between 3-7 unless you want to see the small guys go at it.

if you really want to have the full experience, i personally would buy a box for 2 and arrange for a goodwill guide to attend with you - you would have to pick up their costs also for the tickets but they would be able to arrange to take advantage of the food service to seats etc. that I have had a hard time figuring out.

if you want to sit in a box in the lower level, i suggest you try to pick up a box for 2 even though there could only be one of you.

good luck and PM me if you want other tips and if you want to seem some ball games in Tokyo...schedule is up for May.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May Sumo Tournament

Hi there I just wanted to say a word in my defence. I turned up first thing in the morning at the least crowded time. I bought the cheapest tickets as I only had time to sit for an hour. When I got to the balcony I was literally about the only person up there, so i went and watched the tournament from the rail at the very front of the balcony. I am sure that by the evening there would not have been such an option. I was allowed in to the lower level just before I left as I wanted a couple of close up pics.

K J
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
699 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May Sumo Tournament

that was probably ok angie. At about 2pm it starts to fill up and then at 3:30 very much so.

5. Re: May Sumo Tournament

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2013, 10:23