We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cultural tours and activities in Tokyo and Kyoto

Sydney
Level Contributor
45 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Cultural tours and activities in Tokyo and Kyoto

My husband and I are visiting Japan (Tokyo and Kyoto) for the first time from 16 to 21 April. We are interested in art and architecture. Are there any tours recommended, particularly short or walking tours?

We also like Taiko drumming and would like to see this if possible, particularly the very traditional kind.

Also, which would be the best area in Tokyo to stay for us (middling age).

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Tokiotours
Walking Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Japan Awaits
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Day Trips
Things To Do In Tokyo (TTDIT)
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Culinary Backstreets
Walking Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,660 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cultural tours and activities in Tokyo and Kyoto

Where to stay - what's your budget ?

For example the ANA Hotel will be around 22-25,000 yen per night but good sized rooms and central.

If you have JPY35k per night then the Grand Hyatt in roppongi.

for art look at listings on www.metropolis.com in japan......heaps of galleries here but mainly public. it seems a bit hard to find private art galleries.

also look at a site www.superfuture.com which has interesting maps of tokyo

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
993 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cultural tours and activities in Tokyo and Kyoto

catulla,

Will you please specify your preferences a bit more?

Do you know a Japanese architect Tadao Ando?

…alpha-net.ne.jp/kkuehara/…selection_07.htm

Are looking for this kind of modern architecture? Or historic buildings such as Horyuji? Or merchant houses along a Edo Period highway?

As for art, we have many. From 8th century statures of buddha to 21st century oil paintings.

What did you find in your tourbook/guidebook?

Sydney
Level Contributor
45 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cultural tours and activities in Tokyo and Kyoto

Thanks for the replies.

I need to explain further. We would like to get a hotel that is convenient to the train and to the things we want to see. Friends have suggested we stay near Shinjuku station, but that appears to be the business district. Would it be OK to stay in Ueno, for example, or would Akasaka or Shibuya be better? Our budget might stretch to the ANA, but five star is not essential (or even preferable).

We are interested in all kinds of architecture. I wonder if there is a tour organisation that does themed tours. If we wanted to spend an hour or an afternoon seeing merchants' houses, for example, would there be someone to show us?

Mentioned in this post
Shinjuku
Shinjuku
Tokyo, Japan
Shibuya
Shibuya
Tokyo, Japan
Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
993 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cultural tours and activities in Tokyo and Kyoto

catulla,

Shinjuku, Ueno, Akasaka or Shibuya? - Anywhere is OK. No difference. We have JR Lines and subways.

We are interested in all kinds of architectures. - I can not advise from this specification.

I wonder if there is a tour organisation that does themed tours. - Let me take my time to make some research.

merchants' houses - I meant old cities such as Takayama, Tsumago and other remote cities where they preserve Edo period houses. These are for tourists.

Mentioned in this post
Shinjuku
Shinjuku
Tokyo, Japan
Shibuya
Shibuya
Tokyo, Japan