We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel- Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Grand Hyatt or

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which hotel- Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Grand Hyatt or

Hi, we hv shortlisted a few hotels but cant decide which one. We are looking at Four Seasons Manurouchi, Manadarin Oriental, Grand Hyatt, Peninsula or Ritz Carlton. They are all highly ranked in TA.

We prefer to be near the subway stations with nightlife/good restaurants and shopping within walking distance. Not so keen on business areas. Prefer an area that is bustling. Previously we hv stayed around Shinjuku area (Century & Keio Plaza) and we love the location. I would like to stay in Park Hyatt but my husband didnt like the location which is further away from the Shinjuku station.

My heart is with Ritz Carlton which looks fabulous from the website but the rates seems higher than most. Grand Hyatt is at Roppongi Hill and looks good as well. So is Four Seasons and those in the top 10 lists on TA.

Appreciate any advice or help in choosing the hotel! Thanks in advance.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,823 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel- Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Grand Hyatt or

I think the Peninsula has a better location, within a walking distance to Ginza upscale shopping and dining district. I personally dislike Roppongi for having illegal immigrants and rogue Japanese working for all sorts of petty criminal activities, although it has decent shopping and dining places as well. Also, Roppongi is not the best place concerning transport. In my honest opinion, Ginza is much more relaxing and a cool place to explore.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel- Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Grand Hyatt or

out of those, i would pick peninsula for a good location for shopping, subway. you can get rooms with view of the imperial palace and the bar on the top floor also has great views. out of that bunch, peninsula is the newest. four seasons is on lower floors and older. MO is a little out of the way, i think, but still walkable to shopping and transportation. i don't think MO has a pool. RC is in tokyo midtown and is in a good location for accessing things. it's above a big mall and there's lots to do close by. rooms are pretty standard RC (i think a little boring but comfortable) and you'll be a few stops from shinjuku (vs staying near tokyo station/ginza). not to confuse you more, but the newest hotel is shangri-la right above tokyo station. the standard rooms there are pretty big.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel- Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Grand Hyatt or

Thanks, looks like Peninsula is a popular choice.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel- Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Grand Hyatt or

Prior to the latest wave of 5-star hotels, the Okura, Park Hyatt and FS Chinzan-so were intentionally marketed as being away from public transportation because guests who stayed there would certainly not be using public transportation, anyway. I remember asking my Japanese friend about this, telling him that these hotels were very inconvenient and I couldn't figure out why they were located so inconveniently. He told me that the typical guest usually has a driver and is not concerned about the time it takes to get somewhere nor how close it is to trains or subways. That was an earlier time when exclusivity was paramount to association with high quality lodging. I think the next generation 5-star properties broke from that mindset and they are all convenient to rail stations.

5. Re: Which hotel- Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Grand Hyatt or

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 12:41