We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Voltage question

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Voltage question

Hi all,

I understand that voltage in Japan is 100V.

According to the label of my camera's battery charger - which is the most vital piece of electric equipment for my trip - it works in the range 110V-240V (and 50-60Hz).

Will I have problems using it in the 100V network, or may I expect some tolerance?

With 'problems' I mean the battery charger exploding or not working at all; it's not a problem if it just takes a little bit longer to charge the battery.

The other battery charger I'll have with me (the one for my phone) clearly states on its label that it works at 100V-240V, so I'm sure this one will work - but this is less vital...

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Voltage question

It should work just fine. At 100v on 110v device will not make it explode, it will only be getting a little less voltage (I'm not a scientist, but generally something will blow up if you give it tooo much voltage, i this case it is opposite), should be ok in operation for the most part.

Make sure you have the proper plug adapter, because the one's in Japan are shaped differently from Italy. You will need Italy to Japan adapter only, but a Italy to North America (2prong) adapter works just fine in most cases too

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Voltage question

You have seen too many movies, explosion & fireworks for everything.

If any, just a flash and/or puff of smoke, if not compatible.

No worries, just have the correct adapter.Type A is most common.

…telenet.be/worldstandards/…plugs_a

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,986 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Voltage question

your 110V-240V charger will work fine.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Voltage question

Thanks everyone,

that's good to hear!

I'm fine with plugs: I've got a couple of Italy-to-US adaptors, with 2 prongs.

Well, of course I wasn't "really" expecting explosions: I was over-dramatizing a little bit ;-)

I just wanted to be sure there was no risk of damaging my battery.

Thanks again!

I'm leaving on next Saturday and can't wait!

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Voltage question

If it can handle 110-240V then it is most certainly capable of handling 100V with the internal voltage regulator that it has. I would not worry at all about this.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
680 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Voltage question

As others have said, it has nothing to do with the battery or charger. The only place you will notice it is in the video. Your's being 60hz will beat against the 50hz in half of the country, resulting in a faint bar rolling through the video. It's normal, not your camera exploding, Unless you're there to make a movie or commercial, it's too much of an effort to get rid of it.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Voltage question

The frequency is only relevant for AC-powered devices. It sounds like this is a battery powered device with an external charger. In that case the battery will act as a filter and isolate the DC current powering the camera in all cases.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Voltage question

Hi all,

thanks for the additional input.

Yes, my charger is separate from the camera itself (it only charges the battery), and it can cope with 50Hz and 60Hz.

I will never need to plug the camera directly into the electric network.

Edited: 12 April 2012, 09:26
9. Re: Voltage question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 10:42